News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What to do?

Started by DANETHEPAIN, June 08, 2009, 08:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANETHEPAIN

Riding thru the Ozark National Forrest the other day, the question occured to me, what would I do if a deer popped out in front of me?
A. Head down, and try to 'ride thru' it?
B. Head for the nearest ditch? ( As bad a prospect as A.)
C. Emergency/Panic stop?
Assume your traveling at 60 MPH, and you've got approx 50 yards to make up your mind.
What about the same senerio for a large dog....

Thoughts? Anyone?
I want a new Tiger. Can anyone help?

JetdocX

Unless you can eat it in one sitting, try to avoid it.
From parts unknown.

flux

Swerve, man, swerve.   8)

Nick Calne

Assuming you are not killed or seriously injured ad the deer is, then I recommend new potatoes, fresh green beans and perhaps a bottle of claret.  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... danddrink5
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

chairhead

Quote from: "nickcalne"Assuming you are not killed or seriously injured ad the deer is, then I recommend new potatoes, fresh green beans and perhaps a bottle of claret.  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... danddrink5

Yeah !! what he said,then do the Lotto
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Stretch

Hopefully you don't need a correct, concise answer right away...  As in, you're currently sliding toward a deer with the brakes locked, texting us on your Blackberry "What should I do now?"

If it ends badly, sue your wireless internet provider.  If they had only delivered your message to us in time, we could have coached you through it.

oxnsox

The deer, sensing the Tiger as a predator, would probably run...
Pity you can't turn off your lights  (you know that whole deer in the headlights thing...)

QuoteWhat about the same senario for a large dog....

But Dogs would normally chase cats, so you might have to Dunlop the dog.

Whatever you do the deers butt will be puckering just like yours.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DANETHEPAIN

I like the idea of blaming my perdicament on my current wireless carrier, but I was in the middle of BFE, and as my coverage dosent even extend to the end of my drive way, Im sure I was SOL there too.
Other than the 'swerve' idea, there seems to be no good answer...

Anyone actually hit a deer?
I want a new Tiger. Can anyone help?

Mustang

If they are quartering towards you and you hit him you will go down and pray you weren't going 60mph .

I have never hit a deer though , but I did hit a moose once about 30 years ago .
I was on a RD350 Yamaha and the big goofy bastard stepped right over me and all I got out of it was a sprained thumb and wrist from the impact of grazing under his belly at 30 mph .

RT

Quote from: "Mustang"If they are quartering towards you and you hit him you will go down and pray you weren't going 60mph .

I have never hit a deer though , but I did hit a moose once about 30 years ago .
I was on a RD350 Yamaha and the big goofy bastard stepped right over me and all I got out of it was a sprained thumb and wrist from the impact of grazing under his belly at 30 mph .

God that's a sh** your pants moment.................
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Stretch

In Alaska a couple years ago, I met up with a group of riders from Ohio who had ridden their V-Stroms from Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska in 28 days.  We met them on their last day of the ride, just north of Coldfoot.  We were heading south from Deadhorse, and they were heading north.

The next morning in Coldfoot, a trucker asked if we were the ones who hit the caribou.  

Oh, shit.  No, but I think I know who it was...

Sure enough, after we got home, I did a bit of internetal searching and found their ride report and photos...

One of the riders hit a caribou, and rode through the thing.  The bike never went down, and the rider wasn't hurt.  Can't say the same for the caribou, though...

http://albums.noblequest.org/main.php?g ... &g2_page=3

HappyMan

Hitting a Road Rat is one of the worst things that can happen on a bike.  If you have time to respond then avoid it.  Unfortunately, if you do not have time to respond you will have very little that you can do and hopefully it won't be fatal.  

I'm a firm believer in deer hunting....
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mechanoligist

Quote from: "Stretch"Hopefully you don't need a correct, concise answer right away...  As in, you're currently sliding toward a deer with the brakes locked, texting us on your Blackberry "What should I do now?"

If it ends badly, sue your wireless internet provider.  If they had only delivered your message to us in time, we could have coached you through it.

:lol: :lol:  :lol:
Just along for the ride

Bixxer Bob

Ok,   last summer on a tight left hander, pushing fairly hard,  I was very nearly off after I ran over a squirrel.  

Now I know, pound for pound, they aren't in the same league as a Caribu or Moose, but - in mitigation - there's not a lot of grip on a squirrel..........
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Coming back from Mersing (south east coast of pennisular Malaysia) a couple of months back with a mate on his Speedmaster. Coming round  long left hander at about 100kph (60mph) and getting positioned to pass an old Proton that's been bobbing along in front of me for a few bends. He swerves left (driving on the left!) into the rough to leave me facing a monkey sitting in teh middle of the road, at 1m (3ft) tall seated it was no yougster and had a bit of meat on him and not even my lardy big Vara was going to come out of that lightly so I followed the Proton in case the monkey decided to go the other way. Making eye contact with one of those while travelling at that speed is a bit unnerving  :shock:

Waterbuffalo, goats and wild boar are just some of the other local hazards, which is why we avoid driving at night whenever we can. The other day on one of the three lane highways through the centre of Singapore there was much braking and swerving to avoid a 1m long (not inc. tail) monitor lizard flattened in the outside lane. that has got to be the messiest looking road kill I have ever seen, the natural equivelant of a diesel spill in terms of grip  :wink:

But at least I haven't come face to face with these, same road from Mersing
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint