News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken key

Started by 97tiger885, June 16, 2009, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I managed to break a key in the lock of my Givi case (36L).  Unfortunately, my tools and rain gear are in that case, so I need to get this problem taken care of now.  It presently is locked on the rack as a top case.  What are my options?  Can a locksmith remove the lock, remove what's left of the key and replace the lock?  Or does the lock have to be drilled out and replaced?  If the latter, will my drill bits do the job or do I need special drill bits?  And if I can do it myself, exactly what do I need to do?  Assume I am a total idiot, give me explicit instructions on where to drill and warn me about anything I should be careful not to destroy along the way.

JetdocX

Try to glue the top of the key to what's left in the lock with a tiny bit of superglue first.  It might work for you.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

A locksmith has a set of tools especially for removing broken keys from locks.  It shouldn't be too expensive, since you can take the lock to him, avoiding a service call.

97tiger885

I managed to fix the problem last night.  None of the local shops which sell GIVI had any advice.  I couldn't find any info on the GIVI site.  It may be there but I didn't see it.  The Twisted Throttle site had info on replacing the key lock assembly which was of some use.  Here is what I did.  1.) Removed the four bolts holding the top case mounting plate.  (This step is not necessary.) 2.) Remove the two allen bolts under the mounting plate.  These hold the triangular tab that holds the bag to the plate.  You can reach these w/o removing the mounting plate.  Note the direction of the notch in this tab for mounting. You can now remove the bag from the mounting plate. 3.)  Turn the bag over and remove the four sheet metal screws holding the base plate locking asssembly.  Be careful removing this cover.  It contains 3 springs and a small washer.  4.)  Remove the hinge pins.  The pins are designed to go in but not to come out.  You will need to drill a small hole on the outside ends as these have "caps".  I used a small drill bit as a drift.  At this point, you can get inside the bags by lifting up the rear  and remove whatever you need as long as it is small or flexible.  I used some small blocks of wood to hold the bag open.  5.)  There is another sheet metal screw holding the key lock assembly.  This is in the middle of the front.  You can reach in from the back and take it out.  6.)  I am not sure how I removed the key lock assembly at this point.  I pushed and pulled a bit and it fell off.  I appreciated my good fortune and did not try to figure out how this happened figuring it would not happen a second time.  7.) Turn the lock assembly over.  The lock is held in by a small circlip.  Take note of how the lock and the metal piece attached are positioned.  One side of the lock has a slot.  I drew a diagram.  Remove the circlip.  8.)  The lock comes out.  I used a small screwdriver and pushed the key out.  9.) Reverse to reassemble.  The key lock assembly remounts by sliding two tabs into a slot.  The only tricky part is getting the locking assembly for the mounting plate on.  The two springs fit partially inside tubes.  The other sides of the springs push against a shelf which is part of the case.  This is what pushes the catch against the metal tab on the mounting plate.  Make sure you get this right.  If you don't hear the snap when you mount the bag, you have not done this right.  Replace the base plate lock assembly in a well lighted clean area as you will probably have the springs and washer flying a few times before you get it right.  Overall, nothing broken.  The only thing lost was one of the sheet metal screws for the base plate locking assembly cover.  Life is good once again.

Stretch

I love happy endings.