News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wrong tool kit for an 06

Started by jsingraham, August 17, 2009, 06:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsingraham

So,  to preface this, I normally do all my work on the Tiger at home in my garage with the tools I keep there.  (Never had a major break down out on the road yet, knock on wood!).

So this past weekend, I was swapping out my rear wheel/tire for another wheel/tire that I had recently acquired, and came across the following when I happened to pull out the factory tool kit that came with my bike.

1.  There is NO wrench in the tool kit for the axle nut on the bike
2.  There IS a hex head/allen wrench for the eccentric style adjustable Tigers (I previously had a 98, so it was pretty plain to me what that tool was), and I cannot find any hex head bolt on the 06 tiger that would use that wrench.
3.  In looking at the owners manual, for my 06, it specifically references the adjusters as being eccentric, when it is clearly not.

So not only do I not have the right tools that I should probably need to travel with, the book that came with the damn thing doesn't even reference what I have.

Anyone else come across this on their 06, or possibly 05 or 04 models?  Not sure what year the ecentric adjusters went away.

Jason in KC
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

cbxtc6

My '03 Tiger came with the large hex key for the eccentric axle adjusters.
I think the eccentric adjusters went away in '05?
I'll check my '06 manual for chain adjust!!

I carry an additional tool kit now.  It has a large socket for the rear axle nut, among other things...

jsingraham

I think I will do the same.  Currently don't have a metric socket that size, but will get one I guess.  My 1-1/8" I think it was that I used this past weekend was close enought and didn't scar up the nut, so I at least got everything done for now.  Just want to make sure I have all the tools I need for when I am out and away from the garage.

Jason
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel

Bixxer Bob

Just something else I have to remember to check tomorrow....  :evil:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

german

I am using a japanese bike tooling kit.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

Tigger_rider

Tossed the one that came with my 06 in the junk pile. Set up a new kit with the correct tools that Hinkley didnt think we needed. I remember from a post in 99 a German rider commented the stock tool kit was as useful as "a chocolate frog on a hot day". She had looked over a stock BMW kit that even had a bottle opener in it.   OLY

TigerTrax

Jason... the manual covers eccentric and non-eccentric rear adjusters...
turn the page.

The big nut on the rear is 1-1/8" - 1/2" drive .... long breaking bar.

Remember when I had to realign my rear tire in WV ?
I always have the socket & bar with me!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

jsingraham

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Jason... the manual covers eccentric and non-eccentric rear adjusters...
turn the page.

The big nut on the rear is 1-1/8" - 1/2" drive .... long breaking bar.

Remember when I had to realign my rear tire in WV ?
I always have the socket & bar with me!

So are you saying I should read the manual and just ride with you since you carry the tools with you?   :)

I didn't even look at the manual, just took the tools out and found that stuff wasn't there that I expected.  

Yes, I do remember that day of having to stop at the auto parts store to get a socket for your bike.  I had forgotten about that though.
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel