News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger boiling in the recovery

Started by the cyclops, October 02, 2009, 10:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the cyclops

I have an 06 and took it to Colorado this fall.  While there I noticed an antifreeze smell, but nothing running hot.  Rode up Pikes Peak and it started boiling out a bit of the recovery bottle at about 13k feet.  Nothing much came out, and never even got the least bit hot.  I figured I had a little too much in there for the altitude.  When I got off the mountain it would start to boil again at low speeds but none came out.  When I got it back home it would still boil a bit even at 1500 feet.  Its still not running hot, actually very low.  Someone suggested I have a vent hose or something blocked.  Any other ideas?  Just so long as its not a head gasket (my truck blew a head while out there) , I want to hear them!
Growing older but not up

coachgeo

IMHO if it is easy to get to and relatively cheap; change the temp sender.  If it reads the same then your lucky.  If it now reads hot showing your sender was bad thennn your not in a good position.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Stretch

Your coolant may be at the end of its useful life.  My Jeep does that sometimes, and a coolant change solves the problem for a few years.

Be sure to bleed all the air out of the cooling system after refilling...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,39426

flux

Check the plastic elbow joints connecting the hoses to the expansion tank.  Mine had similar symptoms awhile back (but it did puke coolant... love that smell!) and both were broken.  Replaced with brass barbed elbows from Home Depot (even though they are not exactly the same size, they are close enough) and no problems since (knock on wood).  

You will need to remove the front cowling to do this.  Gotta love working on a Triumph!  It's almost as much fun as a BMW...  8)

the cyclops

Quote from: "flux"Check the plastic elbow joints connecting the hoses to the expansion tank.  Mine had similar symptoms awhile back (but it did puke coolant... love that smell!) and both were broken.  Replaced with brass barbed elbows from Home Depot (even though they are not exactly the same size, they are close enough) and no problems since (knock on wood).  

You will need to remove the front cowling to do this.  Gotta love working on a Triumph!  It's almost as much fun as a BMW...  8)

That was it!!!  who would think these would break as loose as they are???
Growing older but not up

flux

It took me forever to figure out it was the broken elbows causing my problem.  There are a couple other places that use these weak-ass plastic parts so I keep one of the brass ones from HD in my toolkit now.  

Glad ya got it sorted.  

Now then, please call my wife and tell her I was right about something!   :lol:

Sin_Tiger

:ImaPoser Yeah like that's going to work  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint