News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Death Wobbles!!!

Started by HeavyHustler, March 25, 2014, 01:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I think you found the cause when you said "Squishy....."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 29, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
I think you found the cause when you said "Squishy....."

Yeah that's what I was thinking........a nice mono-shock would prolly be a good idea and do away with the res.

HeavyHustler

Anyone know of a good US based company to pick a spring for my weight OR a mono shock?

Mustang

again ................a spring aint gonna fix it !

sounds from your description the spring is the only thing working .
thus the wobbles .

why get rid of the remote reservoir ?
it's one of the best features of a steamer shock .

did you ever try adjusting compression and rebound ?
they are both adjustable on a steamer .

and the kayaba was a marshmallow when new .

Sin_Tiger

+1 unless you have to screw the preload nuts right down to get your static sag then  money on a spring is a waste.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

I was looking at getting a new spring AND rebuilding the shock again.  I checked the nitrogen last night and I'm down to 50psi with some possible seepage around the dial of the reservoir.  Should be at 150-160psi no?  I looked in my manual and didn't find a PSI suggestion.

I was also looking at the Hagon and HyperPro mono-shocks.  Are these not quality shocks? 

Mustang

why not find a traxxion dealer and let them rebuild it and match a spring to your weight :icon_eek: ......problem solved .

hagons are like the difference between a v-6 and a v-8 in a mustang ............................

HeavyHustler

Ahhhhhhhh......I was not aware Hagons were sub-standard.  Thanks.

Mustang

they are ok not substandard but there are better ones out there hyper pro being one of them
your problem here in the USA is going to be trying to find a shock for a almost  twenty year old bike .

and if you find one it will cost you damn near what you probably paid for your steamer  .

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on April 02, 2014, 06:39:10 PM
they are ok not substandard but there are better ones out there hyper pro being one of them
your problem here in the USA is going to be trying to find a shock for a almost  twenty year old bike .

and if you find one it will cost you damn near what you probably paid for your steamer  .

Wilbers makes a nice looking shock w/ res for $1100!   :bug_eye

Mustang

what shape are the bearings in the bottom link the shock attaches too
most steamers that are used and abused have the bearings siezed from rust because no one ever greases the fittings you can't get to without dropping the crossover pipe

like this fine specimen of a steamer suspension link bearing

HeavyHustler

When I was working on the bike a few months back and added the center stand I replaced the grease zirk with an angled one so I could grease it all up.  Bearing was ok. 

ned37

when i got my current steamer the shock was toast.  i rebuilt it and added a medium weight shock oil.  the p.o. had dropped the fork clamps about 2", i moved them up to about 3/4".  handling was so-so with the rebuilt shock, a bit squirrely at speed and scary on a silty dirt road.  decided to flip the rear eccentrics to lower the rear, and tried it without changing the front.  perfect.  i'm guessing my bike likes a bit of the chopper attitude.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e