News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Remove oil filter without special tool? and how much oil?

Started by tett, October 22, 2009, 12:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Need to change the oil on my new to me 2006 Girly.  

Is there a way to get the filter off without getting a special tool?  From now on I will use a K&N filter so after this change all I will need is a box wrench.

Also, the manual says to use 4litres of oil for a change.  In the many bikes I have had I have never been able to use as much oil as the manual says (Yes, I change the oil hot and let it drop).  How much oil do you guys add before checking the level?

Many Thanks,

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

TheMule

I too went to the K&N for ease of changes in the future. Drove a screw driver thru the old one and turned it off because I couldn't get me filter wrench on it.

crude but effective,
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

vdlcinc

I don't know about the 06... is the filter the same as the 01???

As far as filling... whether with my cars or bikes... I always subtract 1 liter/qt from the recommended then check... if it doesn't register, I add the last qt... but usually I'm pretty close to full with that (or at least 1/2 way... start the engine and let it run about 30 seconds to fill the filter and circulate... then check and fill to proper level.

Not an exact science... but works okay for me.
Don

\'12 Tiger 800 XC

atokad

Quote from: "TheMule"I too went to the K&N for ease of changes in the future. Drove a screw driver thru the old one and turned it off because I couldn't get me filter wrench on it.

crude but effective,

What Mule said for the first one I removed. Then I bought one similar to this model. Works great.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdfilt03.html

There are numerous types you can buy, but this one never slips, is easy to "attach" to filter, etc, etc

Bear

I have just put in 3.6L of oil with a new filter seemed to be just about spot on. I have a tool ( :roll: ) now for the filter the first one I took off without was a work of art after I had finished, it was completely mangled..
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

HappyMan

You can remove the oil filter simply by jamming a screwdriver into the filter and turning it and then finishing it by hand.  Make sure you have something under it to catch the oil though.

Also, it's good practice to fill the oil filter with oil prior to putting it on the bike.  Subtract the amount of oil you've added to the filter from the total amount you will be adding to the bike.  Don't quote me but from my fading memory I believe it's four quarts with the filter??
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

cbxtc6

I use a large channel-lock (slip-joint) pliers to remove the old filter.

HappyMan

I've rarely ever had to use anything more than my hands.  Wet the rubber gasket on the oil filter before you mount it and hand tighten.  I've never had a leak and I've only had to remove it with a tool a couple of times.  It doesn't come off easy but if I get a good grip on it she'll move.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

tett

Did the first oil change on my Girly.  Easy as pie.  The old filter came off easily with a large screwdriver stabbed in it's side.  There is a good gap between the pipes and the engine block where one can see the filter.

Used about 3.5 litres.  Ran it warm but it is still only 9C here and the bike did not get nice and hot as I like it for oil changes.

Thanks for all the input!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger