News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Battery staying charged or draining?

Started by ramseybella, November 02, 2009, 01:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

Just put a ne w battery in my Steamer around three weeks ago and when I first start the bike it is cold and slow turning over the motor, don't want to blow the sprag.
Could the alternator be bad or just the battery? It is a interstate, once the motor is warmed up it starts fast no sluggishness.
I took it for a 100 mile run today and disconnected the positive terminal to see if this stops whatever may be draining the battery.

What may be the issue? :cry:

JetdocX

Heavy oil?  

Can you plug a tender into it overnight?
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"Heavy oil?  

Can you plug a tender into it overnight?

Just changed it yesterday to Mobil1 T racing oil, but was doing the same thing before.
I don't have a tender I guess I should get one do they sell these at any auto parts store?

Thanks for the reply.

Mustang

yep autozone has a nice tender for 27 bucks and it has a quick connect  too !

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?displayName=BatteryCharger&itemId=1092-10&navValue=101092&parentId=2032-10&productId=298615&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=298615_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=batterytender&categoryNValue=102032&store=5203&skuDisplayName=1.5Ampstricklebatterycharger&categoryDisplayName=StartingandCharging&_requestid=1369261

if you have 10w40 oil in it and the battery is any good the only thing making it crank slow will be cold storage , IE. is your garage heated or does it sit outside in 40 degree f or colder temps all night . if it;s in the cold it will crank slow even with a new battery . and the battery tender will be the cure

:wink:

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"yep autozone has a nice tender for 27 bucks and it has a quick connect  too !

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?displayName=BatteryCharger&itemId=1092-10&navValue=101092&parentId=2032-10&productId=298615&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=298615_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=batterytender&categoryNValue=102032&store=5203&skuDisplayName=1.5Ampstricklebatterycharger&categoryDisplayName=StartingandCharging&_requestid=1369261

if you have 10w40 oil in it and the battery is any good the only thing making it crank slow will be cold storage , IE. is your garage heated or does it sit outside in 40 degree f or colder temps all night . if it;s in the cold it will crank slow even with a new battery . and the battery tender will be the cure

:wink:
Thanks!!
It's parked under the porch it has been 40 and below in Santa Fe, so yes my guess it is cold for the most part.
I will pick this up tomorrow.
Thanks again for searching!!

Sin_Tiger

If you're going to spring for a tender I recommend you spend a few dollars extra and get a C-Tek waterproof and will last.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

You say you put in a New battery and it was sluggish?

Maybe it wasn't charged at the store after they filled it???

I'm with Sin on the battery tender... you'll get what you pay for. Spend a little more and make sure it is a 3 (or 4) stage/step charger, suitable for bikes.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ramseybella

Quote from: "oxnsox"You say you put in a New battery and it was sluggish?

Maybe it wasn't charged at the store after they filled it???

I'm with Sin on the battery tender... you'll get what you pay for. Spend a little more and make sure it is a 3 (or 4) stage/step charger, suitable for bikes.

I charged it myself with my friends Motorcycle charger after filling the cells. But it was an old Craftsman charger still you would think it should hold a charge after 16 hrs cooking? It fired right up when I replaced the old battery I could tell the alternator was working as the lites went from a little dim to full out bright and continued to stay bright.
I would hate to be camping in the cold mountains and need to leave and find out I cant start the bike!!!! :shock:
I will see what Auto zone has thanks.