News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SW Motech Center Stand

Started by TriumphTengu, January 08, 2010, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriumphTengu

Hey now all, hope you are staying warm in these cold days we've been havin'.
My wife ordered me a center stand for the 06' Tiger for Christmas but Twisted Throttle said they were out and would ship it ASAP and it arrived yesterday (with a free TT tee shirt too).
I was admiring what a fine piece of work it is and noticed that she's a little heavy ;-)
I guess If I wanted to save weight by removing the side stand I would have to rewire the "safety" switch?  
Any thoughts on this?
Thanx
Jim in Austin
Are We Having Fun Yet?

Mustang

nope the switch is only made when the stand is down , thus preventing the ignition system from working .removing the side stand will have no effect on the switch .

you are not going to save much weight though and there will be times you want the side stand ........just sayin :wink:

TriumphTengu

Hey Mustang
Yeah, I guess the days of shaving grams (not those kind) are a throwback to my mountain biking daze.
I look forward to being able to lube my chain without having to push the Blue Meanie back and forth! :wink:
Are We Having Fun Yet?

tett

Did your TT stand come with two springs?  One large and one smaller which fits inside?  Mine did and I thought this may have been a mistake.  Then I mounted the stand and found the 1 large spring was not strong enough as the stand was not pulled up tightly.  I had to use both springs which were very difficult to install.

tett

Quote from: "TriumphTengu"Hey now all, hope you are staying warm in these cold days we've been havin'.
My wife ordered me a center stand for the 06' Tiger for Christmas but Twisted Throttle said they were out and would ship it ASAP and it arrived yesterday (with a free TT tee shirt too).
I was admiring what a fine piece of work it is and noticed that she's a little heavy ;-)
I guess If I wanted to save weight by removing the side stand I would have to rewire the "safety" switch?  
Any thoughts on this?
Thanx
Jim in Austin
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

TriumphTengu

Oui.
No bout adoubt it that sounds like some Aggie engineering.
Thanks for clearing up the two spring mystery.
Are We Having Fun Yet?

EvilBetty

Still looking for a titanium stem and a carbon fiber swing arm for my Tiger  :lol:

I was pretty heavy when I got into mountain biking.  So I never really understood why guys would pay so much money to shave a few grams when loosing a few pounds would be much more beneficial!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

blacktiger

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I was pretty heavy when I got into mountain biking.  So I never really understood why guys would pay so much money to shave a few grams when loosing a few pounds would be much more beneficial!

Because it's far easier and you get to fiddle with you bike.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

EvilBetty

I fiddled with my bikes enough.  I custom built each of them from the frame up with clearance components from SuperGo and JensenUSA!

I will say when I built one of my first aluminum bikes, lifting that thing onto the roof the car was much easier than the CroMo bike!  :D

TriumphTengu

The Center Stand has landed!
I went home after work yesterday and hung the brackets and stand.
Was getting dark so I decided to hold off til today to stretch the springs.
I put a bungie around the stand and road to work and had our uphostery
tech to use his spring pulling tool he rigged togather and has used for years.
Its a hook on one end and a metal handle on the other-sort of a letter "T" with a hook on the end.  
Nat stretched those two springs in one motion within two seconds.
Are We Having Fun Yet?

tett

So you did use both springs like I did.  Did you get them to seat nicely?  Mine looks a bit funny but it works.  I had a hell of a time jury rigging some hooks etc. trying to stretch these safely.  Was not fun!  Sounds like you had a much easier time of it.

tett

Quote from: "TriumphTengu"The Center Stand has landed!
I went home after work yesterday and hung the brackets and stand.
Was getting dark so I decided to hold off til today to stretch the springs.
I put a bungie around the stand and road to work and had our uphostery
tech to use his spring pulling tool he rigged togather and has used for years.
Its a hook on one end and a metal handle on the other-sort of a letter "T" with a hook on the end.  
Nat stretched those two springs in one motion within two seconds.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

TriumphTengu

Well it started raining yesterday so I went home and put the cover on the Tiger without trying the centerstand.  Hopefully the springs wont sproing(?)

Quote from: tettSo you did use both springs like I did.  Did you get them to seat nicely?  My look a bit funny but it works.  I had a hell of a time jury rigging some hooks etc. trying to stretch these safely.  Was not fun!  Sounds like you had a much easier time of it.
Are We Having Fun Yet?

ChazzyB

Did anyone consider putting the springs on one at a time, like I did when I reinstalled my stand recently.  :lol:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

EvilBetty

My OEM center stand is sagging when stowed... I'm guessing the springs need to be replaced.  I'm I getting myself into another not-so-fun project?

Bixxer Bob

Not if you make yourself a hook tool up first.

I've always found that most jobs are 80% preparation ie making the right tools, jigs, fixtures etc.  Get that right and the actual job is a non-event.

I spent probably 3 hours making a rear brake drum flange for a friend's Rigid "T".... and about two weeks making the formers, tools etc.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...