News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to install heated grips

Started by tett, December 24, 2009, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Just won a set of heated grips for my Tiger.  Thanks Bixxer Bob!

Would like to know if there are any tips or tricks which would help with the installation.  Anyone out there install a set lately?

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

EvilBetty

Don't do it when your tired :)

I just installed a set right before I left for Jasper, AR in October.

It's pretty straight forward.  It's a little tricky threading the wires through the bars and out the little holes on the bottom.  I used a trash tie bent into a loop to push the wires through then fish them out.

Finding the power connector under the fairing was quite a bit of trouble for me.  Mine was tucked up on top the wiring harness around the lamp housing.  Took me quite a while to find it.

The rest of the fun was just trying to figure out where to route all the extra cabling.  Have plenty of zip ties on hand ;)

Also pay attention how you connect the switch to the relay.  That will determine which way the toggle goes for warm and hot.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "tett"Just won a set of heated grips for my Tiger.  Thanks Bixxer Bob!

tett

Except that it turns out I helped him buy them from our own not-so-newbie, Chairhead.... :BangHead

We can't half make things difficult for ourselves sometimes.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tett

Thanks Evil!  This will help.  Looking forward to do a January install.  If the roads are clear I may even put the battery back in and take it for a spin.

tett

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Don't do it when your tired :)

I just installed a set right before I left for Jasper, AR in October.

It's pretty straight forward.  It's a little tricky threading the wires through the bars and out the little holes on the bottom.  I used a trash tie bent into a loop to push the wires through then fish them out.

Finding the power connector under the fairing was quite a bit of trouble for me.  Mine was tucked up on top the wiring harness around the lamp housing.  Took me quite a while to find it.

The rest of the fun was just trying to figure out where to route all the extra cabling.  Have plenty of zip ties on hand ;)

Also pay attention how you connect the switch to the relay.  That will determine which way the toggle goes for warm and hot.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

EvilBetty

Has anyone replaced the OEM switch with a panel mounted heat troller?

My grips are usually TOO hot on even the lowest setting.  Once they get heated up I find myself having to hold my hands out in the wind to cool them down.

HappyMan

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Has anyone replaced the OEM switch with a panel mounted heat troller?

My grips are usually TOO hot on even the lowest setting.  Once they get heated up I find myself having to hold my hands out in the wind to cool them down.

Interesting thought though I have not had that problem too often.  Perhaps because I live in Sunny Minnesota....Either way, I'd be interested too if someone has done such a mod.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Bixxer Bob

Some aftermarket brands come with a rotary control (I'm guessing that's what you mean) so it shouldn't be hard.  We just need to know how the maximum currrent the grips draw, factor in 50% for safety (we don't want any fires do we?)  and then find a pot that's up to it.   In fact, thinking about it, a pot that's rated a bit higher than the fuse should do it.  I'll get to it  and see what I can find.

All you sparkies out there are welcome to add anything constructive... :roll:

I'll start a new post.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Anyone seen Tett???

He's gone a bit quiet and I have these heated grips to post.....

EvilBetty

Part of my problem is that I ride year round with mesh gloves.  Between the heated grips and the OEM hand guards I've found I don't need any warmer gloves.

Downside I think is that they transmit much more of the heat directly to my hands.

I thought there were major problems with running a pot in line with something like this.  My understanding was that the trollers are a pulse width modulator and work by turning on and off the grips (or other heated gear) at variable rate defined by the dial, effectively adjusting the heat and not causing any additional resistance in the circuit, wasting power and creating heat under the fairing.

Though I'd have to assume the toggle switch is using a resistor at some point in the circuit to reduce the power in the low setting.

I'd really hate to mess with the OEM circuit anyway.  I'd assume a panel mounted troller would eliminate both the switch and the relay from the kit.

EvilBetty

Something like this is what I had in mind.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Fir ... 22632.html

Installing the switch and the LED in the OEM blanking plate, unless I can find a way to mount it in a more friendly location.

Bixxer Bob

That's the sort of thing I had in mind, but not at $53  :shock:

See my new post in farkles.....

tett

I am here I'm here!  What, did I not read my messages?

I will send a PM.  

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Anyone seen Tett???

He's gone a bit quiet and I have these heated grips to post.....
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

blacktiger

Quote from: "EvilBetty"My understanding was that the trollers are a pulse width modulator and work by turning on and off the grips (or other heated gear) at variable rate defined by the dial, effectively adjusting the heat and not causing any additional resistance in the circuit, wasting power and creating heat under the fairing.

Think I got something like that feeding my heated jacket liner. The LED flashes faster the hotter the jacket gets.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.