News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie question - Thermostat

Started by CornishJimbob, January 25, 2010, 02:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornishJimbob

Hi all

I'm new to the Triumph Tiger 955i, having defected from Aprilia

I'm in the process of 'sorting her out' and have a question for you regarding the thermostat and temperature guage.

How far should the guage go up at normal operating temperature?

mine lifts of the bottom marker but stays very low unless I let her idle, she then starts to creep up.  I'm not sure if the needle should be halfway up the guage or not.

Please advise, help is very much appreciated

Jim

Mustang

"They all do that "   :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

seriously though , that is pretty much normal Tiger behavior .
It will go way up stopped in traffic on a hot summer day and for normal cruising will lay down at the bottom of the gauge

Welcome to the site  :icon_salut

ArcticTiger

My -98 is that way too. Does it mean that the engine runs too "cold", or is the temperature "normal" even if the reading is that low?
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Mustang

no the engine is happy happy and the  temperature is that of what  the thermostat is functioning at and all is well .....the "problem" is the crappy sensor that is screwed into the cylinder head .
You can buy a new one from the dealer and odds are your temp gauge will behave totally different , it would seem that no 2 replacement  temp sensors are the same

I have three sensors on the the shelf in the parts bin and all three are the same part # from dealer and bike bandit and guess what ?

yep all three read different on the same temp gauge no matter what bike they are installed in .

But for the most part it would seem that the ones that come from the factory when the bikes are built always consistently show the temp on gauge down low .

CornishJimbob

thanks for the info guys, I had visons of me replacing the thermostat this weekend, now I don't have to!

KuzzinKenny

Just make sure the fan comes on when it gets hot and dont fill the expantion tank to the Max !! inbetween Min and Max ( cold ) is where they like to be or it will spit the excess coolant out !!

Welcome to TT.com !! the Tigger den  :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly