News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone have a vacuum routing diagram?

Started by stephenkeri@gmail.com, January 26, 2010, 05:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenkeri@gmail.com

I am working on a friends Girly and it was a dealer test model, I think they have a couple goofy things going on. He moved here from Wisconsin and is having a lean issue under heavy load/acceleration. We pulled the tank and I think the FPR vacuum hose is not routed to the correct location, anyone know where it ties in, I want to get the bike running right but keep it factory for him.  It has the TOR exhaust and the dealer stated they programmed it with the TOR tune, but I am not so sure as it has the decel pop like what would happen with open exhaust and no retune. The bike has always had the decel pop except for a short while after the dealer stated they retuned it, and now it has recently developed this new lean issue which is much more serious, it is detonating when getting on the freeway or similar heavy throttle heavy load actions.
The dealer had the airbox off and I found a pinched Baro sensor hose, and I think the FPR is routed wrong as well, upon initial inspection..
Any ideas. Obviously needs more fuel up top looking at the plugs and hearing it.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Bixxer Bob

First,  a bit of overrrun popping with a TOR pipe is normal.  Even with extensive map modification, mine still does it if heavily provoked.

Next the lean on heavy throttle use:  on a dyno, my standard TOR map was lean in the midrange.  I used my Tuneboy to richen it up and now it's much better  BUT,  I never had detonations.  Have a thorough look around the IACV to throttle body hoses for air leaks inc the little soft sleeves at the ends of the tubes.  Another common fault that you can read about elsewhere (there's a good thread about it on the Triumph Torque forum) is throttle body gasket leaks.

By FPR I assume you mean fuel Pressure Regulator.  According to my Haynes manual, the hose goes straight forward and round under the tank.  The pic doesn't show beyond that and my 2005 tank doesn't have the regulator mounted in the plate like earlier versions so you need help from someone with an earlier version.  

I have to say I despair at dealers that can make such basic errors as trapping the baro hose.  I was taught if you have to force something you've generally got something wrong :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

stephenkeri@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for the info.
On the Fuel pressure regulator, I have never seen one go to anything else but a vacuum source. This one is routed up to the airbox, and unless I am missing out on a new FPR design I think the dealer who worked on this was a hack, so fuel pressure never changes it's always the same.
Only vacuum lines go to the IACV, I think that the FPR should tap vacuum too. (Service manual doesn't show that I could find)
We couldn't find any major leaks, but with 30K A new intake gasket might be in order. I was also concrened that with all the fiddling that maybe they knocked the TPS out of calibration which could also cause concerns on this style ECU.
He really misses his bike and I have been trying to come up with an answer for him.
Thanks again for the help!

iansoady

The fuel pressure regulator just senses atmospheric pressure through the little spigot. On early (pre -03?) bikes there was a short hose attached; on later ones like my 04 there's nothing on it at all - there's no airflow through it so you're not bothered about contamination by dust etc. All it's doing is providing a reference.

Personally, with modern fuels I don't think plug readings tell you anything useful - the colours can be all over the place. Plus to do a proper plug chop you have to cut the engine when it's pulling then look at the plugs - if it's been idling it'll only mislead you. Easy enough on my Velo but would take for ever to get the plugs out on a Tiger.

And, as I'm sure Bob will endorse, Tuneboy really lets you know what's happening.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

stephenkeri@gmail.com

Thanks thats this info I was looking for. I have never seen a fuel pressure regulator before with a reference port that doesn't go to vacuum. Have seen non referenced ones before, but not one to atmosphere.
On the plugs, I am basing it off of several reads, the fact that we can hear detonation when getting on the freeway.
It is an issue that developed seemingly slowly over time, (possible fuel filter issue gonna replace that) But ended up having to replace one of the plastic no leak fittings in the tank too.  My friends got a lot of work recently (electrician) so I am waiting to get time to work on it again, and am trying to figure things out that were not explained in the factory service manual.

blacktiger

I'll second the FPR hose thing. My 2002 had a hose attached but my friends 2003 did not so I now run mine without.

The detonation thing...how old is the fuel? And, has it got the right plugs in?

Good luck with it.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

stephenkeri@gmail.com

Fuel isn't that old, Plugs are correct. My friend moved here from Wisconsin 2 years ago. He rides the bike all the time. It has slowly developed this problem but has recently been bad enough for him to park it and start working on it. He has a lot of old Triumph and Norton bikes but his first that is fuel injected, thus the reason I came in to the picture.
      I am going to try and get a scanner to readout the sensors and see whats going on, but I want him to replace the fuel filter and test the fuel pressure first. I was going to tap in an AN barb to the line to provide a port for testing the fuel pressure without the factory tool.

iansoady

What mileage has it done? If it's 10k or more it may be worth looking at the valve clearances. Easy enough to check but a bit of a pin to change the shims.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

stephenkeri@gmail.com

30k on his bike, I'l check with him and see if he has done it yet.

Mustang

I'd check em ........it's time
see this thread
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,34259
and you don't need the tool to check them , but if you have any at zero clearance that is definitely going to be causing some of the issues you are experiencing