News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is it possible to test the crankshaft sensor on a 955i?

Started by CharlestonRider, February 23, 2010, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlestonRider

Hello all,
I have a 2001 Tiger 955i and I suspect that I have a sporadic crankshaft sensor problem (bike stalls for no reason, but starts right back up). Is there a way to test these units? I am hoping someone has checked the resistance of a (known) good crankshaft sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CharlestonRider

Mustang

should test at .6 ohms  , but that doesn't usually tell you much because a lot of times when they are failing they still ohm out good . :evil:
The Girly bikes don't usually suffer from it .
Have you tried the 12 minute tune to reset the ecu  if nOT start the bike and let it run till the fans come on without touching the throTTLe .

CharlestonRider

Mustang,
Thanks for the response.  I will check my crankshaft sensor this evening using your information as my guideline.  

By the way, where did you find the ohms value for the crankshaft sensor?  I didn't see it specified in either the Triumph or Haynes manual.

Thanks again.

CharlestonRider

Mustang

It's the same value as what the coils should ohm out at . :wink:

If the bike starts and runs good cold then dies instantly on all three after 10 minutes or so and then you let it cool down and the same pattern happens , that is generaly how the ignition sensors fail work good cold kill the motor when they get hot . :cry:

CharlestonRider

Mustang,
Once again, thanks for your willingness to help me with my crankshaft sensor issue.  

Regarding the resistance...Do you have any sense as to what the upper limit would be before a crankshaft sensor becomes problematic?  The reason I ask is that I have checked mine cold (about 0.62 ohms) and then I have tested it after heating it slightly (by placing it in front of my garage heater).  After minimal heating (i.e., the sensor feels moderately warm in my hand...nowhere near how hot it would get if it were in the motor) the resistance increased to about 0.85 ohms.  

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
CharlestonRider

Mustang

I always just assumed that when they fail they go to open circuit (no resistance ) never really checked a bad one .

Bixxer Bob

If you do a search on the part number you might be able to find a spec for it, including the tolerance.  Just an idea....

I can also add that the engine doesn't run if you inadvertently rip the sensor completely off whilst unknowingly removing the mounting bolt, like I did on an old Rover car I used to own,,,, :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

It's pretty unusual for a 955 to have a problem as such,the 885i was notorious for it,when i complained to Triumph in 99 having met no end of folk with same problem,just got shrug of the shoulders,particularly bad from cold,i was told to turn ignition off wait 10 seconds and try again,it did work, :evil: