News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why would they do that?

Started by Sinnergy, February 14, 2010, 03:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinnergy

OK Gurus of the triple...

I replaced the motor in my bike.  I'm not 100% certain what model it came out of, but there is a major problem.

The bloody thing shifts backwards.

Using the linkage from the Tiger, the shift pattern has become one-up, five down.  It makes a certain sense to me that Triumph would use somewhat different linkage for the different bikes, but a reversed gearbox??

Anyone know more about this?  Is there an easy way to swap them without pulling the motor back out of the frame and splitting the case?

I'm now debating pulling the motor back out, or fabbing a new shift pedal to reverse the torque-rod.

Any thoughts or hints will be appreciated,

Sinn'

Mustang

Quote from: "Sinnergy"OK Gurus of the triple...

I replaced the motor in my bike.  I'm not 100% certain what model it came out of, but there is a major problem.

The bloody thing shifts backwards.

Using the linkage from the Tiger, the shift pattern has become one-up, five down.  It makes a certain sense to me that Triumph would use somewhat different linkage for the different bikes, but a reversed gearbox??

Anyone know more about this?  Is there an easy way to swap them without pulling the motor back out of the frame and splitting the case?

I'm now debating pulling the motor back out, or fabbing a new shift pedal to reverse the torque-rod.

Any thoughts or hints will be appreciated,

Sinn'

the gearbox isn't reversed just the shift drum which runs the shifting forks, you should be able to access it thru the sump but it will be easier to pull the motor from the frame to do it

or you an take the easy way out and make an adapter that gets the shift shaft out far enuff away from the footrest bracket so you can rotate the bellcrank 180 degrees and then it will shift normally

you probably have a sprint or a trophy engine now

Sinnergy

Thank you, Musatang for the quick reply and the great picture.  I was imagining going the 'other' way and making a pivot plate off the pedal, then extending the action rod.  Is the inside of your adapter splined?

Sinn'

oxnsox

If you look at the pictures in this post you'll see why.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ea72e1c1c5
The location of the pegs to the engine dictates the position of the shifter... which determines which way round the box works.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ArcticTiger

I would just have kept it that 1up-5down way. You get used to it quite quickly.
My -67 Bonnie was like that when I had rearset footpegs and flipped the gear shift lever backwards. No problem, newer missed a shift. And it had the lever on the right hand side too. :D
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Mustang

Quote from: "Sinnergy"Is the inside of your adapter splined?

Sinn'
nope the aluminum "bites" into the stock shaft pretty good and same for the bell crank
this is not one of my bikes BTW , someone elses who had the misfortune of grenading their tigger and replaced it with a sprint motor

Sinnergy

I considered leaving it backwards and living with it, but I switch bikes too often, and I'm pretty sure that I'd hurt myself sooner or later.  I'm allergic to pain, and don't feel the need in my dotage to trash another set of armour.

Today I have to do the family thing, but I'll set something up later this week, and post up some pix.  I may try my adapter plate first as I don't have to break out the lathe which is currently buried behind six or eight other bike projects.  Anyone have a pedal/connecting rod, and lever in their spares they'd like to part with in case it goes awry?

Sinn'

Sinnergy

Sorry to take so long... it is truly sad when making a living gets into the way of riding, but sometimes that's just the way it is...

I'm (trying to) attaching a pic of my modification to the shift lever for my Tiger.  It is quite opposite from the one that you showed me, Mustang, but it seems to work (so far).

In case the pic' isn't clear (shot with my phone); I've extended the shift lever down and around the foot peg, and moved the original joint from the top of the lever to a point at the bottom, then extended the action bar so that it retains full adjustment length.

Because the length of the lever from the pivot point is longer than the original position, the travel of the foot-point is about 20% shorter than original, making for a shorter shift action.  It isn't a problem for shifting when riding, but is making for a little more 'hunting' when putting the bike into neutral at a stop--but not too bad.

So far, so good.  I contacted the gent' from whom I bought the motor, and it is indeed from a Trophy.

I think if I had to do it over; I would have pulled the motor from the frame and swapped the shift drum, but I'm also happy with the route I've taken.  

THE TIGER IS BACK ON THE ROAD!.  I'm putting on new shoes for this season (not to start any flames, but I'm thinking Shinko...), and I'm thinking about crating her and going to India next year (OK, a little dreaming there, but working on it).

Many thanks for the input.  I'd be trying to ride the VFR in the mud this spring if it weren't for all of you.

Sinn'

P.S. If anyone is looking for a higher mileage, but apparently perfectly solid Tiger motor, I'll pass my original along cheap--maybe a trade for parts I'd like to find: stock cans, stock (steel) sprocket, gold-link chain, etc. ask: it can't hurt--S'