News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Misfiring

Started by Benziltiger, June 10, 2010, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benziltiger

This problem happened over a month ago, and I left it with my usual garage to have a look at it, while I went offshore. But with it not being booked in to a slot, he said he'd have a look 'when he could'. He found one big problem, with the centre cyl. coilpack split and arcing badly, but then he couldn't get time to look much further. So at the start of this week, still no further on, I took it to a auto electrician, who has done work on bikes. He found another problem with a wire going to the centre cyl. injector split, and arcing to the frame. Thinking he'd fixed it, he called me to say so. Great! So when I went to his place to pick it up, I started it, but NOOOO! it was still misfiring! He thought it was running ok, as he wasn't sure how they were supposed to sound! Anyway, he told me what he'd done, and fairplay to the guy, he had been thorough. We even checked with an LED light to see if there was a pulse ging to the centre cyl. injector, which there was, so I'm snookered, No point taking back to the original garage as he's still busy as ever. I'm going to have to try myself, but I've never even taken the tank off!! I used to be a car mechanic in a previous life, but never got in the guts of my bikes! Where to start??
\'05 955i in Black (of course!)

coachgeo

Swap the coils from between center and another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the coil.  Dont forget you have to do a complete swap or you'll have two cylinders firing at the wrong time.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Benziltiger

Thanks coachgeo, I did forget to say there is a new coil fitted to no.2 cyl

Benziltiger

Well folks, I have my bike back again. The short in the loom had buggered the new coil, thats why there was still the misfire. Anyway, replaced the new (busted) one plus another that was lookin ropey, put it all back together and hey presto!! MOT tomorrow, but should all be fine.....