News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hagon shock - updates?

Started by 514Advrider, February 17, 2010, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

514Advrider

I've been looking for an affordable replacement shock for my '03 Girly, and Hagon seems like a reasonnable purchase for the price. I've searched the forum for some feedback on these units, and it appears that they've been getting mixed reviews. However, some of the posts are a few years old, and maybe the company has improved their product since then? Anyone with a recent Hagon shock on their bike? Your thoughts?
thanks,
Paul

TheMule

I installed a Hagon last summer after a Wilbers failed. I went with the Hagon primarily because of cost, couldn't swing the $$ for the other makers with a remote preload and lowered a little. I also got an uprated spring so I can haul the kitchen sink now. The Hagon took a little playing with as the compression/rebound is linked but I have it pretty well dialed in now for tarmac/gravel roads and the remote preload is nice. So far the shock is performing very well. I have about 3,000 miles on it and am very happy. We'll see how long term longevity is. For less than half the price of the competition, and cheaper than a new one from triumph, I am very pleased.

The pic is of the Hagon with the other things I installed after my shortened summer trip last year.

good luck with your decision,

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

514Advrider

Thanks TheMule. A few more questions:

- What is the extra delay to obtain the shock if you order it with the remote preload adjuster?

- Is it worth getting the uprated spring if I'm 195 lbs abd occasionnaly ride with my gf on the backseat (probably around 140 lbs?)

- How do you compare the Hagon to the Wilbers in terms of ride quality?

TheMule

I received the shock thru David Quinn in exactly 3 weeks from the order date. I would not spring (pun intended) for the uprated spring if you were not planning on hauling gear as well as your GF. If you were going to take your GF on a trip with luggage I would purchase the uprate spring. Call David Quinn, he is very helpful!

The Wilbers seemed smoother to me than the Hagon but I do have the Hagon currently adjusted a little stiff. Also, the wilburs I had was designed for racing and as a result was "tuned" for a narrow wieght band and did extremely well with just a rider. The shock failed after a couple of hundred miles with me and about 80 lbs of gear on the bike (I wasn't aware of the limitations of the shock as it was installed by a previous owner).

hope this helps,
Todd

sanjoh

I've done near 25k miles with the Hagon shock, including the uprated spring. I would not make the same purchase again for 2 reasons.  The shock is under damped for the uprated spring, and the combined compression and rebound damping stinks.  My biggest complaint; the rebound damping is inadequate as it will darn near launch you off the bike when riding off road.

Hagon has positioned the pricing to be attractive, however I would recommend a shock separate rebound and compression dampening if you plan on doing off road riding.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Chris Canning

I'm suprised about a Wilbers failing,it isn't possible to buy a Wilbers off the shelf,they are all made to your  spec,you have to supply your weight your passenger weight if you travel with one and state how much kit you will be carrying,plus Wilbers are completely rebuildable.

Yes i do have a bike with a Wilbers also two with Ohlins so i'm not biased,re the Hagon V Wilbers,the Hagon is a good option at the right price,but certainley a rung down the ladder when it comes to quality from the Wilbers.

514Advrider

I seem to understand that Wilbers is no longer available in North America...

That leaves Hagon, Works, HyperPro.... Base price for the HyperPro is aroung 600$ according to Sasquatch. I haven't seen any feeedback on these units yet from Girly owners...

Mustang

I would ask Sasquatch what he reccomends as he is a very knowledgeable suspension Guru, and call it a day :wink:

jonathan jaecks

Quote from: That leaves Hagon, Works, HyperPro.... Base price for the HyperPro is aroung 600$ according to Sasquatch. I haven't seen any feeedback on these units yet from Girly owners...[/quoteYou can also get Penske fully adjustable, full custom shock from Traxxion Dynamics.  Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  Race spec, rebuildable, custom spring rate for your weight and desired use.

TheMule

Quote from: "Mustang"I would ask Sasquatch what he reccomends as he is a very knowledgeable suspension Guru, and call it a day :wink:

:iagree  He has the Wilbers that failed on me for engineering purposes.

FYI -  From Klaus at Hyperpro:

Rear shock: Model 460 = $ 589.00
with adjustable rebound damping

Rear shock: Model 467 = $ 969.00
with adjustable rebound damping, with piggy back reservoir
and high/low speed compression damping.

Optional:
LA = length adjustment for +/- 1/2 seat height changes = $ 89.00
HPA = Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster (remote) = $ 269.00

Delivery time : we try our best to get the order from the manufacturer and
ship it to you within  3 - 4 weeks.
Our shipping charges are based on UPS Ground shipments.
It can take up to 6 business days to some western parts of the country.

S&H within the continental US = $ 25.00
Todd

Sasquatch

I can now rebuild the Hagon shocks for the Tigers.  I can also revalve them to solve some of the complaints.  I need to modify the body a bit and install a shrader port for nitrogen filling, but it does not get in the way.

Hagon's are built for a low budget, and they show.  They have some nice features like a large shaft, and decent sealing, but the cut it on the valving stacks.  This can be improved.

Pricing will be around $225 for a rebuild and modification of the valving stack.  I have parts in stock.

Sasquatch

I am also a HyperPro dealer.  I do have to admit that I have never sold one of their shocks though.  All my customers come to me for my rebuilding services.

That said, the shocks seem to be really nice.  I would like to hear some feedback on them as well.

I can match the above pricing on the shocks if any of you are interested.

Advwannabe

That's good news Sasquach, I'm frustrated with the quality of my Hagon, but believe it would be possibe to make it suit my needs rather than by another shock
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

514Advrider

Update:

I ended up ordering a Wilbers 630 shock, as there is currently a 10% discount deal going on on Advrider in the Vendors section.

The shock came out to 512$ + 20$ shipping, has manual preload adjustement and adjustable rebound damping.

I will post a review once it is installed.

zombie

Quote from: "Sasquatch"I can now rebuild the Hagon shocks for the Tigers.  I can also revalve them to solve some of the complaints.  I need to modify the body a bit and install a shrader port for nitrogen filling, but it does not get in the way.

Hagon's are built for a low budget, and they show.  They have some nice features like a large shaft, and decent sealing, but the cut it on the valving stacks.  This can be improved.

Pricing will be around $225 for a rebuild and modification of the valving stack.  I have parts in stock.

Hagon Shock all installed
it now goes up and down with no leaks ...result
thanks a bunch for al the work ya did on it cheers