News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine lights on after a service.

Started by aesdj, March 06, 2010, 05:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I've just finished servicing the bike and when I started it the engine light was on. I stripped the bike back down  :x  and found that I'd left the inlet air temp unplugged, plugged it back in and started the bike again but the light was still on. After I'd stopped running around screaming and balling I looked at the manual and found this:-

If the fault is an emissions related fault or a serious malfunction affecting engine performance, a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) and the data will be logged in the ECM's memory and the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) on the motorcycle instrument panel is illuminated. Once a fault is confirmed, the number of warm-up cycles made by the engine is counted. If the fault clears, the warm-up cycle counter will extinguish the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) at a pre determined count, and erase the DTC and data from the ECM memory.

A single warm-up cycle is deemed to have taken place when the following criteria have been met:

The coolant temperature must be raised to 72°C or more.
The coolant temperature must have risen by 23°C or more from its start temperature, when 72°C is reached.
A controlled power-down sequence must take place.

NOTE: - When a fault has been rectified, the MIL will remain lit until sufficient non-fault warm-up cycles have taken place to turn it off or its turned off using the Triumph diagnostic tool.

In most cases, when a fault is detected, the engine management system will revert to a limp home mode. In this mode, the engine will still function though the performance and economy may be marginally affected. In some cases, the rider may not notice any appreciable difference
from normal operation.

Now if I'm reading this right, my fault will be an emmisions fault and running the bike with the light on won't harm the bike and now that I've repaired the fault by plugging it back in  :oops:, if I start the engine and stop it when the fan comes on, after a set ammount of times doing this the light will go out yes, and whats a controlled power down sequence? Cheers in advance for any help that is given.

Timbox2

Yep, 3 warm up cycles should do it, by controlled they mean using the ignition key to switch off rather than the kill switch which I never use but some do by all accounts.
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

It will do the same thing when you change a battery also , or even just disconnect your battery  :shock:

aesdj

I've had the battery off for about 4 weeks. I'm surprised that that would bring up an alarm. Shame on Triumph for scaring people like that  :wink: . I never use the kill switch, I don't see the point in stopping the engine with that when you have to turn the key to turn the ignition off anyway. I don't know were I got this from but I remember reading or being told that it can damage things. To be honest I've never understood the point of it. So 1 warm-up cycle is when the fans kicked in? Do you have to let it cool completly down before doing it again?

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "aesdj"Do you have to let it cool completly down before doing it again?

Yip !! or just ride her each day for 3 days  :)

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

eric John

OK, Noob here, just bought a 2000 and went throught the valves and synced the throttle bodies-warm it up three times to check? The limp home quote in the manual has me wondering...
"All day long I stood ready to accept people who disobey and are stubborn" Isaiah 65:2

the cyclops

Quote from: "eric John"OK, Noob here, just bought a 2000 and went throught the valves and synced the throttle bodies-warm it up three times to check? The limp home quote in the manual has me wondering...

Thats what I did (3 heat cycle) in the garage and it went out (light) and did fine.  I just figured it came on when I was balancing the throttle bodies and it sensed a huge vacuum leak or something.
Growing older but not up

Mustang

Quote from: "eric John"The limp home quote in the manual has me wondering...

It's kinda like running Windows in Safe Mode ............... :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"It's kinda like running Windows in Safe Mode ............... :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Windows Safe Mode will actually get you anywhere  :icon_scratch
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Windows Safe Mode will actually get you anywhere  :icon_scratch

Not in my experience :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aesdj

Thats all I did, started her up and turned her off three times in the shed when the fan kicked in and the light went out. I was going to balance the throttle bodies but when I went and priced up the long pipe and wires from my dealer I got talking to the service manager about how to do it and he said if its ticking over smooth and its not hunt at any point in the revs then his advice was to leave it.