News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front wheel Installation

Started by Goober, April 15, 2010, 08:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goober

I replaced my fork oil today on my 05.  As I was re-assembling the front wheel I glanced at the wheel assembly parts diagram in the Tiger Service manual.  I noticed that the washer and speedo setup was different than the way mine was installed when I got the bike.  Mine, starting from the clutch side (left side of the bike if you are sitting on it normally) goes like this:

Nut>Washer>Fork>Steel sleeve/spacer into speedo gear>Speedo>Steel spacer>Fork>Axle  

The manual shows the steel sleeve into the speedo from the inside.  Also, another washer between the sleeve and the speedo.  I tried putting the sleeve in the way the manual shows, but I couldn't get the speedo to seat into the magnet.  I also do not have the second washer and don't really see why it would be needed.

I've run the bike for 12k miles like it is, but I just wanted to make sure it's correct.  What's correct?
2005 Silver Tiger

Mustang

Goober

Yet another diagram a little different from the service manual I have:)  I saw this one, but it made me a little confused so I originally disregarded it.  According to this one, I have the steel sleeve, part #3, correctly inserted into the speedo #4.  However, part #18, doesn't exist in my setup, maybe the previous owner forgot to put it in.   I also don't have washer #15.  Finally, I think I have the axle inserted backwards.  If I'm reading this right, the axle should be inserted from the speedo side, or left side, of the bike.

The PO or a previous dealer really did a number to this thing.  

Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer.

Thanks!
2005 Silver Tiger

Geoff D

Igot a 2005, wait there will go and check it  :roll:
The older I get the faster I was...

Geoff D

Axle inserted from the right side...Not the speedo side.

Yours sounds the same as mine Goober
The older I get the faster I was...

Bixxer Bob

Mine's installed from the speedo side.   :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

outrunner

2006 Tiger here and the spindle is inserted from the speedo side although I do not think it would make any odds if it was fitted the other way round as long as all the other bits are in the right order.  :?

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

outrunner

Hold the phone! Just realised I said that wrong :oops:  it goes in from the right side, it was only last night I took the wheel off as well.  :)

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Goober

I agree, I don't think it would make much difference which way the axle is inserted.  What I'm more concerned about are all of the supposedly missing washers.  

I wonder if the spinning of the tire and possible rotation of the axle could cause the spindle nut to come loose if it is put on one side vs. the other?  Probably a very small chance of happening, but,  :icon_scratch
2005 Silver Tiger

Goober

I got off my lazy a$$ and went to bikebandit.com to look at the part descriptions for said washers #15 and 18 in the diagram.  They're oil seals not washers.  So I'm not missing anything.
2005 Silver Tiger

Mustang