News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel line sockets

Started by mittens, April 20, 2010, 12:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittens

Hi oh'wise ones...
I'm writting this one on my phone as I dont have the net yet after moving, so if it has been asked before, please forgive me but it's a big site.. But only a little screen...
So..after refitting off the tank, a small leak was spotted from one of the sockets, a little wiggle resulted in a break and a big squirt of petrol in both eyes :shock:  :cry:
subsequent fitting of two new sockets results in seepage, the parts dealer when asked said not to put any thread tape on, but I really don't want to tighten them any further( what kind of   :violent1 Decided to make these out of plastic??)
so what do you think, should I hunt down petrol rated tape, or is there a locktight of sorts, or the red stuff on the thread maybe seals after x amount of time?
Any help would be appreciated on this one folks
"If a hammer doesn\'t fix it you have an electrical problem"

Roulette Green 2001 Tiger 955i

EvilBetty

Search is your friend  8)

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5670

Now what's not in that thread is that I had a series of leaks (covered here).

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... metal+fuel

Now what's not in that thread is that I still had some leaks :roll:

It's in another thread, but I won't bore you with that one.  To summarize, I ended up curing the problem with another turn of the fuel fittings... and Teflon tape...  :oops:

I wouldn't do it again... it's the extra turn that fixed the leak, but the tape has been holding for a year now.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

I used Wellseal on mine and left it for a few days before putting any fuel in (well it was snowing outside) - no leaks at all when I filled it up.

Mind you, my old plastic ones came out with no bother unlike (it seems) everyone else's.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

mittens

OK, nets back up and I can rejoin the world.
First up, as had been suggested elsewhere, I bought a tube of Hylomar. $15 for a toothpaste tube full.
Second, I missed it on the site at first, but on the fuel socket, that silver sliding thing comes of by pressing the pin down with a small screw driver. You then can fit a socket and tighten the bugger up as tight as you like/dare.
As a reference, my plastic sockets both went in the entire thread, could others comment on theirs?
"If a hammer doesn\'t fix it you have an electrical problem"

Roulette Green 2001 Tiger 955i

EvilBetty

?

The two threads I linked above should answer your questions.  Not my posts as much as others that commented on them.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD