News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

heated Grip meltdown

Started by Timbox2, April 04, 2010, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Put a new L/H heated grip on his morning, everything seemed OK, started the bike up and switched the grips on, they heated up ok, so shut off and went in to change.
Came back out started up and went up the lane, suddenly a plume of smoke goes up behind the clocks so I shut off quick and turn the grip switch off.

back down the lane quickly and front off again to find the loom from the switch badly melted, well the pink wire to be exact.

I can only assume that maybe Id somehow caught the wiring with one of the front fairing screws or similar

Ive pulled the whole loom out for now, the pic below shows the offending wire at the bottom, Ive removed the protective sheathing from all 3 wires to see the extent of the damage.

One odd thing, the 10a fuse never blew :shock:

2016 Tiger Sport

oxnsox

If the fuse didn't blow then that suggests your theory on crimping the cable in some place is correct... as the short could have effectively bypassed the fuse.  Or perhaps the fuse is not in the right place in the circuit???
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "oxnsox"If the fuse didn't blow then that suggests your theory on crimping the cable in some place is correct... as the short could have effectively bypassed the fuse.  Or perhaps the fuse is not in the right place in the circuit???

+1
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Ok,, Thanks chaps, gonna see if Triumph sell that loom separately today
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Update:

That loom was available with the switch, £20-00, so not too bad, but......

Got it all back together again yesterday, and again all seemed fine, went up the road, grips getting nice and warm, then getting cold, then I noticed this time that the clock had gone, ahh, fuse blown, which it had, so another strip down today, loom gone again but not as bad, fuse saved it a bit, then I found the cause of it all, it was a  trapped wire but not where I thought, the wiring of the R/H twist grip had shorted together under the grip just where it goes into the bar, the twisting was causing the on off short, so I just need another grip and that bloody loom again :evil:

So that will be 2 spare heated grip switches Ill have in stock :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Bugger, R/H heated grip now obsolete from triumph, Ebay here we come.
2016 Tiger Sport

walker

does triumph sell the ones individually for a 2007 and later? I bet they fit right up.

Timbox2

Quote from: "walker"does triumph sell the ones individually for a 2007 and later? I bet they fit right up.

I think they would fit but they do look quite different, but a bit of luck, I found a dealer in Bristol who still had some on the shelf, went over this morning and grabbed one :D
2016 Tiger Sport