News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1995 Tiger just purchased

Started by Midwestguy2, March 21, 2010, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwestguy2

I just bought a 1995 Tiger with 23K on it. I have put about 200 miles on it and have been very satisfied. I ran across this forum and a few maintenance issues seem to be the norm on a Steamer. The sprag clutch has me concerned. It seems everyone that has a Steamer has the sprag go out. Does anyone have one with high mileage and has not had it go out. In your opinion should I buy a new sprag clutch right now planning that it will go bad? All other maintenance does not scare me any. Thanks for reading.

Mustang

Hi
welcome to the site .................

I have three steamers all still on the original sprags

A 1998 with 70,000 miles
another 98 with 36,000 miles
and a 1995 with 55,000 miles

the secret is keep a new battery in it every two years , and never ever keep trying to start the beast when the battery gets low , when she cranks over slow and then tries to fire is when the sprags get damaged

and I also usually just throw a new battery from wal mart for 40 bucks into them all every springtime and call it good . that way they always have a new battery in them
cheap insurance for sprag

aeronca

welcome aboard. i also have a 95', but i think the first owner actualy did the sprag. not sure though. like mustang said, new battery is your friend. i use a sealed gel battery. good luck and post a pic 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

Welcome  8)

I got my '96 with over 80k on it, talked to two previous owners, the previous mechanics and am rebuilding the engine / box, we couldn't find any evidence of a sprag renewal. Another friend that also has a '96 with around 50k and knows it's history has never done a sprag either.

Being in Singapore, cold starts are rarely an issue, so that might have some bearing on this spragless region  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Midwestguy2

Thanks for that info and it certainly makes good sense to me. I will get a battery asap. Will post a pic later. Thanks again.

Bob Tosi

Welcome aboard.  My  '98 Steamer has 32,700+ and has no issue or has never had any issue according to the previous owner.  The battery has always been kept fresh and the bike starts perfectly right away even cold.  I'm with these guys, keep a fresh battery or get a good quality battery tender.  Tourtec makes a good one.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"