News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand

Started by GavD, June 15, 2010, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Anyone know if there is an alternative to the standard steamer sidestand. Got a bent one and I wanna replace it but don't particularly wanna spend 50 quid on a new one thats just gonna bend over time.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "GavD"Anyone know if there is an alternative to the standard steamer sidestand. Got a bent one and I wanna replace it but don't particularly wanna spend 50 quid on a new one thats just gonna bend over time.

"They're all like that Sir"  :lol:

Not aware of any alternatives, I'm getting mine rebuilt with stronger tube and rebushed pivot, hoping that gets it a bit nearer the vertical.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nightrunner

Several folks have welded a gusset at the bend.  And yes that pivot needs to be tightened up too.  

Does anyone know the angle on the stand when its new?  I want to make sure mine is correct before I weld.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

JetdocX

There is a centerstand option.  Buy the SW Motec one.  Buy a jack to help you install it. That's what I did.  Screw a sidestand.  I use the sidestand only when I have to. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"Several folks have welded a gusset at the bend.  And yes that pivot needs to be tightened up too.  

Does anyone know the angle on the stand when its new?  I want to make sure mine is correct before I weld.

it's not really the factory bend that bends it is the section from the mounting hole to the factory bend that actually bends
see photo

heat it up with a torch and bend it back straight then weld a 1/4 inch steel rod to it for support

nightrunner

The things we learn on this board.  Outstanding source of info.  I have only seen a couple of pics of the bent ones.  I ASSumed the bend just bent further.  Just to be safe I think I'll do the upper straight section and a gusset.  Or maybe just run the same steel rod down around around the outside of the bend.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril