News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Breather seal and stator cover gasket

Started by Advwannabe, June 29, 2010, 02:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Hi Tigger wrenchers,

I have two queries:

1. How do I shift the little metal ring in front of the breather seal without damaging it or the housing? Seems to be jammed in there pretty good.

2. The stator cover gasket is made out of that old school 'stick to the metal at all costs' paper. Back in the day i'd sift it with carby cleaner, but realise that is not a healthy option now :shock: Any secrets someone cares to share?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Advwannabe

*Bump*

No clues anyone? I don't want to use force levering the steel ring off but if that's what has to be done...
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

Hi mate,  without pics I can't advise on the metal ring because I've never been in there on my 05.  Regarding the gasket, you can use Wurth brake or chain cleaner as the solvent.  Soak it, leave a while, then gently scrape the gasket off.  Be careful what you use as a scraper so as not to score the aluminium faces.  If you've not done this before, try a plastic windscreen ice scraper.  It's not as sharp and will take longer, but it won't do any harm.  If you are skilled with hand tools, a metal scraper is ideal; failing that a woodchisel ground to a more oblique angle. Generally though, I use the end of my six-inch steel rule (the engineer's multitool..)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

As for the gasket.  A plastic putty scraper, then acetone and a rag.

I'm not sure what your asking as far as the oil seal.  To remove it you need a seal puller, or some care using a flat blade screw driver.

To install a new one, some use a socket of similar diameter.  Having used this method once though and getting the seal crooked, I highly suggest having someone press it in properly.  Dealer charged me a few bucks to press it in.

It's suggested you leave the plastic mandrel in place until RIGHT before you fit the cover to the bike.  Then let the bike sit over night to let it snug up to the centrifugal breather.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Advwannabe

Cheers Betty,

I'll take some photos of the seal as Bob suggests for the wisdom thread
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Advwannabe

Job done. I finally stumbled upon Betty's very thorough instructions on how to change the seal in Stretch's charging problems thread - doh! :oops: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,53241

Thanks for your patience and help Betty.

For anyone else attempting this job, once you've cleaned up the cover and the gasket mating surface you may find one or two of the metal locating dowels have transfered over to the stator cover. Clean them up and install them in the engine case side. Makes it much easier to keep the gasket in place while you are installing the cover.
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180