News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Made my Own Heated Jacket/vest

Started by liddell, June 20, 2010, 11:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddell

Thought I would share this with you guys, I did this about 3 years ago, and now hitting winter again, not sure I'll need it this time as I own a car aswell, and don't need to get up early anymore, but thought I might continue to build the rest of some heated equipment

Well, its Winter here in the land of Oz, and the early morning rides (5am) is damn cold. has been as low as 3 degrees C.

Last winter I just rugged up with extra clothing (still cold) and could hardly move.

This year decided to make some heated clothing. IE: Jacket lining, pants, glove and socks.

I looked at flash's post on CBOA electric vest, read all of that and found others on the internet too.

The biggest difference that I used, is I stitched the wiring through with a cross stitch.

So far I am pulling about 75W and forsee use about 150W once completed.
I believe with the 400W alternator and the current draw from all other electricals on the bike (found in the FAQ's) I should be able to draw that amount causing no issues ( ie starting the bike)

I am also intending to connect my heated clothing to the Heated grip switch providing a HI/LOW/OFF

Well, I have been testing the jacket (near completed) for the last couple of days.

But first some stats:

I made six different circuits:
Left front
Right front
Left back
Right back
Left arm
Right arm

Because all the wiring come back to the one place for connection, the short arm I included the neck as well.

I worked out each section individually, and it ended up being 3 amps each section. Thats a total of 18amps. 243 Watts. WOW thats high. As I could feel the warmth through each section, I didn't think it was that warm.
It was drawing to much amps, and way to much Watts for the bike.

I thought about using resisters to bring the amps, therefore the watts down. but decided to joing the two arms, the front, and the back together in series, making 3 circuits. Now I am only pulling 6 Amps or 81Watts. on the test (stationary) I didn't feel that warm, I didn't think it was going to be warm enough. I decided the only way to know is to ride home from work in the early hours of the morning.

The Test:
At about midnight getting ready to come home from work, was a particually cold night, I think about 3 degrees C.
Put my electric vest on, then placed my Winter motorcycle Jacket with thermal lining on top. Making a nice snug fit.

Started the bike up and plugged it in, couple of minutes later, I started to feel warm. Rode the freeway about 10 minutes. Nice and warm. once on the freeway, going about 120klms per hour for the next 20 minutes.

I wouldn't say I was warm as toast (as the expression goes) but I didn't feel the cold at all. normally I would be cold by the time I arrive home. Only my legs were cold,

I guess the real test will be in the middle of winter, But so far going great, have been using for a couple of days now. Last night wasn't quite as cold, and prior to getting to the freeway, I was bloody warm, I had to turn it off.
On the freeway I started to feel the cold, even though I plugged it back in prior to freeway, cold in the centre of my chest, but by the time I got nearly home, the chill was almost gone, with that cold, it took a little longer to warm up.

Very, Very Happy.
Jas Liddell
Triumph Tiger 2002 955i (Black)
www.liddell.com.au

Nick Calne

That's very impressive but someone from Alaska, Scotland or more probably Newcastle on Tyne is about to say, "3 deg C - that's shorts and t-shirt weather!"  :lol:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

3 deg, I'm still in a kilt at that  :lol:

Love reading about shed technology   :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

liddell

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"3 deg, I'm still in a kilt at that  :lol:

Love reading about shed technology   :thumbsup

3 deg on a bike wearing a kilt?????

Yeah I speak for all of us saying show us the pics, lmao

Second thought better not,
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "liddell"3 deg on a bike wearing a kilt?????

Not me, hijacked from BigMark

it's the UK so it must be less than 3 deg  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

liddell

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "liddell"3 deg on a bike wearing a kilt?????

Not me, hijacked from BigMark

it's the UK so it must be less than 3 deg  :lol:

now that's funny
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au