News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tach died last week

Started by Gungho1989, June 18, 2010, 02:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gungho1989

It will run up to about 3 g then drop out all together but usually now it just doesn't work.
 I m not much good with wiring and usually get temperamental and start braking $h!% if it gets too complicated.  :P
 I am hoping for something simple like a plug or sensor?
 Any help advice or razzing would be greatly appreciated.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

Mustang

the tach is pretty simple system
it's either the gauge itself or it is driven by the igniter (ecu) thats it only two parts . check the plug connectors and make sure you have ground but if all your gauge panel lights are working then you probably have a good ground connection .
If the bike is running good I would suspect it's the tach itself has seen better days
if it's the igniter a new one is like 800 bucks  :shock:

Gungho1989

you have got to be shitting me!? please tell me you forgot the Decimal point.
 All that riding in the rain Ive been doing may have not been the best idea.
 I live without the  *(^&% thing if costs that much.

Ok after reading around I see what your talking about but dang I will live without  the tach for now. Hopefully the ECM will hold out other wise till I can get my hands on one for a bit less. whew  :shock:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

daveb

I would also check the Harness making sure it is not rubbing and shorting out, at stationary the wire loom is ok but when travelling the loom might move slightly and short out.

Mustang

Quote from: "daveb"I would also check the Harness making sure it is not rubbing and shorting out, at stationary the wire loom is ok but when travelling the loom might move slightly and short out.

if any shorts happened it probably took out whatever magic component in the igniter that sends the tach signal to tachometer

the way the OP says it was working intermittantly to 3k and then quitting would suggest to me that there is hope it is only a dead tachometer itself .
as I have seen T Bird ones fail this way also and it was just a tach gone bad

a new tach from bike bandit is 314 dollars

MIMbox

Might be worth ebay.co.uk, we can always ship to you if needed, we are good like that
stuff like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Daytona-9 ... 2a07f91bdb

daveb

Mustang, where is the pickup for the Tacho coming from? ECU or off the engine.

$314 wow, I guess its not a panel, they gauges are individual cased instruments.

I think I will tell my bosses $314 for a tacho.  :D  ours sells for about $200 from our US distribitor.

just for reference

http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/telemetrix.htm

Mustang

Quote from: "daveb"Mustang, where is the pickup for the Tacho coming from? ECU or off the engine.

ECU / also known as IGNITER

daveb

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "daveb"Mustang, where is the pickup for the Tacho coming from? ECU or off the engine.

ECU / also known as IGNITER

Cheers Mustang for the Translation  :D

Gungho1989

Gentlemen
Again thanks
I was on my way home last night and the tach started working again, has worked all day today and when I popped out for a quickie at lunch it worked then as well.

I am going to start pulling it apart this weekend, run some wires and see if there's anything obvious. My center stand came in Yesterday and I will be pulling some panels it appears to get that installed so might due for a little detour to give a look.
 I am also looking to order new chain and sprockets so it will be getting some extra attention over the next few weeks.
 Any recommendations on Chains and sprockets are welcome as well   :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Papalobster

My tach is dead and I miss it, but not enough to spend the money. On mine, the signal wire from ECU to Tach rubbed through on an aluminum bit inside the fairing and shorted out. Factory service manual says to replace the tach, if it doesn't work, replace the ecu.

The PO replaced the tach. Guess what that leaves?

Check the harness from ECU to tack and wrap any wires that look like they might be rubbing anywhere. Intermittant sounds like it has rubbed through and the signal grounds then the bare wire makes contact.