News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil seal inside stator cover?

Started by brad1098, July 07, 2010, 07:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

Is everybody replacing this seal?  Do the new ones keep oil out?

I had minimal oil inside cover when removed.  Maybe 2 oz.  

Seal feels rather firm. like it hardened with age.  Dealer says its a $30 seal  :o and will take a week to get........oh and they have never  :shock: sold one!
02 black-Lorna

Advwannabe

They are not selling many Brad, the one I've ordered is on back order with a two week wait, which I interpret to mean there's none in the country ( Australia)

I changed my order to two and will keep one on hand in case the seal in the Daytona goes.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

brad1098

I since talked to dealer mechanic.  He said they are supposed to be firm and to run with it.
02 black-Lorna

EvilBetty

Some are replacing them... others are not without incident.  If you start finding oil in your airbox or breather tube, you need to change it.

Oil in the cover is normal.  It drains back into the sump .
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Advwannabe

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Some are replacing them... others are not without incident.  If you start finding oil in your airbox or breather tube, you need to change it.

Oil in the cover is normal.  It drains back into the sump .

Hmmm now I'm confused. There is supposed to be a little oil in there?

I would have imagined that if the seal was gone you would get less vapour through the air box due to the loss of pressure??
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

EvilBetty

Yes there is supposed to be oil in the stator case.

If the oil seal is not sealing tight against the centrifugal breather oil will pass the seal and get blown up the breather vent tube and in some cases into the air box.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD