News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06' Tiger minor tip over (how to fix)

Started by mille44, July 20, 2010, 02:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mille44

So I tipped the tiger over for the first time on pavement yesterday. Nothing really spectacular, just skidded on some gravel and fell over. All really slow motion stuff and nothing for the highlight reel really, just the bloopers. Anyway in addition to scratching my engine bars and center and side stand the rear peg bracket was badly bent and seemed to take the brunt of the ol' girls weight. Both tubes that are welded to the frame (tail sub-frame) collapsed the sub-frame tube just a bit. Two worries, or thoughts, I have about this. One, it's a minor aesthetic problem that with a bit of touch-up paint I could probably live with. But, two. I ride the Tiger like her hair is on fire and even with the panniers/ top case and/ or a passenger on the back and I worry about the sub-frame collapsing because of the damage when utilizing the susspension at higher speeds.
So, here is my question. How do I fix it? Bend it back out and fill full of weld or replace the whole side of the sub-frame with a new (salvaged) section.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
~Eric
On the seventh day God made Triumphs; and the Devil rides a Triple!

If its wide enough for two wheels it\'s a road!

Keep talkin\'...I\'m takin\' up the trigger slack!

Sin_Tiger

If you took those very shortly after your tumble I would suspect that the sub frame has had pre-existing damage from an earlier tip judging by the rust stain in the paint that probably didn't happen overnight.

Time to take it off and get it fixed I would suggest, it's only steel   :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

That's an awful lot of damage from a low-speed tip. Dropped mine on both sides within the first couple of weeks and there was nothing like that.

I think Sin_Tiger's right about it being earlier damage.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

mille44

No, no earlier damage. I've had the bike since new. I washed the bike when I got home to assess the damage and the areas around the welds were rusty already. Maybe I shoulda used alcohol after it was wet, but I think its gonna need some surgery anyway. Must be high carbon steel! :D
Does anyone have any leads on a salvage frame I could cut the left side rear foot rest and frame from and weld to my frame? that may be easier than trying to straighten mine...

Chris Canning

Blimey i fell off mine in april with my other half on the back, big style and while it wipe both left side pegs off,nothing as bad as that,but I did have Touratech bars on  :?

mille44

Oh, and I have tipped over on a dirt road before at about 20 mph. That kind of damage didnt happen then either. Just scraped the engine crash bars. On the other side though... :oops:

I think I may have hit the edge of the pavement as it transitioned down about 6" to a gravel shoulder on a downhill corner... Its totally my fault for mis-judging the corner and the braking capabilities of the Tourance tires. Which by the way, I think I'm going to switch back to the Anakees. I think they are a better tire for the Tiger...

2004Tiger

Remove the paint and clean up the weld. Inspect. You may find the weld intact, no cracks. You can bend it back into shape. Paint.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.