News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pilot air screws - how do YOU tune them.

Started by BruKen, July 28, 2010, 12:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Hi guys

I want to tune the carbs this weekend and balance them. As I have a replacement carb set that I cleaned out I will have to re set the pilot air screws. Now I have tuned many single cylinder carbs in the past but all my multi's have been fuel injected. The way I did it for a single cylinder was simply unwind the needle until the motor became bubbly rich. I would then lean her off while the revs climbed until they began to sag again. From there a quarter turn back to rich. After trialing to see that there was no hesitation from prolonged idle to short bursts of throttle (while on and riding the bike) I would leave it as set. If there was hesitation I'd richen up in 1/8th increments.
Obviously I cant do that on a multi. How do you tune yours? (run on one cylinder : if that's even possible?: while tuning as above and then performing the hesitation test on all carbs simultaneously?)

Mustang

the correct way is with an CO2 gauge screwed into the bungs in the exhaust headers ...........you should be between 1 -2 % CO2

Now for us lowly folk who can't afford the damn gauge

just set the pilot screws at 1 1/2 turns out and it will run pretty damn good !
the carb sync is the most critical ....I use a morgan carbtune

BruKen

I have a recently purchased Morgan carbtune too. This will be it's first use.

Thanks.

nightrunner

Mustang about summed it up.  But the manual specs are 2.5 - 4.5 % CO outside the US and 1% for US models.  I shot for about 1.5 - 2% and it runs and starts pretty easily.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril