News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885 955 differences

Started by qbto, August 18, 2010, 10:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbto

Apart from the engine and colour schemes, is there any other differences between the girlies ?

Chris Canning

You know thats a funny question,because on paper not a lot,most is transferable and i have done exactly that,but they are totally different to set on,it wasn't untill i'd had my 955 for a week or so went back to the dealer and my old 885i was still there,but when i got on it realised i was sitting in it,as opposed to the 955 which i was sitting on it,and yet you can just about swap anything you like over.

johnnyadventurepants

I know that the Touratech bash plate won't fit the 885.  Also, the oil cooler is located in a different place so the oil cooler protector from Touratech won't work either.  The 885 has a collector box underneath as part of the exhaust system and the 955 gets rid of this.  You can use the 955 cans though as everything from behind the right foot peg is the same.  I just bought a Blue Flame can that is only advertised as for a 955 and it fits perfectly.  (and sounds great!)   I also believe that the 885 has a little better charging system.
\'99 Tiger 885i

walker

Suspension is different. 1999-2000 was one, 2001-2003 was another, then 2004-2006 different again. Springs up front are noticeably different in the 885 models.

Swingarm differences in the later girlies vs. the 885 (different type of chain adjustment).

Some later girlies had cast wheels, with tubeless tires (2005/2006)

Rear brakes are different - the 885 used the same pads in the back and the front.... same caliper.

qbto

I did test ride both bikes at different times, both times I was running a Trophy 1200 wasn't keen on the 885 felt it lacked something,could be because I was comparing it to the grunt of the 1200 motor.

The 955 was much better, but the biggest difference I noticed was the Trophy felt like it had flat tyres once I got back on it after the 955 never got that after the 885.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "walker"Suspension is different. 1999-2000 was one, 2001-2003 was another, then 2004-2006 different again. Springs up front are noticeably different in the 885 models.

Swingarm differences in the later girlies vs. the 885 (different type of chain adjustment).

Some later girlies had cast wheels, with tubeless tires (2005/2006)

Rear brakes are different - the 885 used the same pads in the back and the front.... same caliper.

Different they may be but they are all interchangeable,what is never mentioned between the two 885 revs a thousand less than the 955 which makes a huge difference,you just need to use the 955 less to get more and with a 19t sprocket highlights it even more.

walker

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Different they may be but they are all interchangeable,what is never mentioned between the two 885 revs a thousand less than the 955 which makes a huge difference,you just need to use the 955 less to get more and with a 19t sprocket highlights it even more.

I have one of each, with the stock gearing, it's closer to 450rpm difference actually. Identical tires on each (that can make a difference too - tire diameter... but with everything else being the same, it's only 500rpm or so (just for reference).

Chris Canning

Are we on about the same thing here,the redline on an 885 is a thousand less than the 955.

My 955 with a few mods will pull a 19t without breaking sweat,i put a 19t on my 885 just to give it an easier time at high speed.

walker

Doh! I was thinking at cruising speed in top gear, it's not that much different (around 65mph on the highway). the 885 does struggle to move quickly, where the 955 just goes when you want it to... not sure about the redlines on each.... never paid attention to it...  so mark that as another difference!!

Just thought of something else - fuel fittings are the same between 1999-2004 (?) and then 2005-2006 they change (I think that's the cutoff - someone can correct me if that's wrong).... so a later 955 won't have the fuel connector problem of the earlier ones.

Chris Canning

Just thought of something else - fuel fittings are the same between 1999-2004 (?) and then 2005-2006 they change (I think that's the cutoff - someone can correct me if that's wrong).... so a later 955 won't have the fuel connector problem of the earlier ones.[/quote]

Yep never thought about the tank!!,always make me smile all the health and safety in the owners manual,and they fitted the early one's with plastic female fittings :evil:

Chris Canning

Actually i'll rephrase that,different fuel pump unit the tank is the same,untill and just after the Tiger, Triumph had the hassle of working with Acerbis distance and all that,were as now they do their own plastics.

Bixxer Bob

Maybe you can clear something up for me Chris, the early FIs had a fuel filter but the later ones don't?  Or is it hidden inside the tank and the usual bugger to get at?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

When you say early FI's which ones all the Tigers and pumps with filters that i have seen 885i/955 are inside,when in my local BM shop( i have 2  :roll: )it causes much amusment that the 1100s filter is the same as the Triumph but cheaper.

Timbox2

Tell you what, its a darn sight easier to change on the Tiger than a BM, wouldn't you say Chris??

Although its a tank off job theres none of the wrestling with the bloody thing to get it in and out of the tank like I remember on the S. :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

These lot don't know their born,changing a fuel filter(same as in the photo) on an 1100s is one of the great delights in motorcycling :(