News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Powdercoating wheels?

Started by NeilD, June 05, 2010, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

has anyone? I just wonder if powdercoat will take on the alloy rims? would there be a problem around the spoke holes with powdercoat being too thick?

Sin - I noticed you were having yours anodised - I guess that as a finish it wont cover up any blemises in the surface. Mine are pretty good really, nice and solid but just some pitting where the original finish has worn through...

BruKen

Powder coat will take on alloy rims, the longevity of the coat will be in question tho. Spole holes will not be an issue. My answer is based on experience with alloy hubs tho, but I can't see there being any difference. What would worry me about longevity is the smallest gap, scratch from changing a tyre / pushing a spoke through that allows moisture in and pffffff it will peel off from the accelerated corrosion. I wouldn't bother.

chairhead

Ive had my Bandit wheels powder coated and for the last 3 years they have been fine,there are small chips and dings,but the coating is great,
i just took delivery of my friends wheel and fork lowers that i got coated for him in black and they look great.
Speak with the powder coater and get his view,he will be able to give you the best advice,im going to get my chair rim coated in black and have stainless spokes and nipples
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

NeilD

Quote from: "chairhead"black and have stainless spokes and nipples

thats the combination I'm looking at for mine...  :)

rybes

dont say that. dont be givin me ideas bout havin rims dpone black with stainless spokes. im havin hard enuff job as it is no gettin the hubs powder coated. dam things nearly finished dont wanna pull iat apart again :lol: altho it does sound a good idea :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rybes

had mine powder coated in shiney chrome and it seems to have done the job a treat. they went together easy too without damagin any of the coatin. at the mo there away bein tightened n trued. ill let ya know how they get on when they come back ;)

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"What would worry me about longevity is the smallest gap, scratch from changing a tyre / pushing a spoke through that allows moisture in and pffffff it will peel off from the accelerated corrosion. I wouldn't bother.
that's the reason dirt bike rims are anodized and not powdercoated !

but for a tiger it should be ok :wink:  , on my 450 Honda not so much !

Sin_Tiger

+1 on all the above. I wouldn't powder coat anything other than cast rims.

I sent mine for polishing before anodising, they were in pretty decent shape to start with but the minor blemishes came out no problem. The stainless spoke set came from Hagon.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

i got told by the anodiser not to get ally wheels re anodised. summink to do with the heat affectin the crystaline structure of the wheel. he recomended powder coatin.

NeilD

I'm still undecided what (if anything!) to do with my wheels.. was wondering how robust anodising is vs powdercoat?

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"I'm still undecided what (if anything!) to do with my wheels.. was wondering how robust anodising is vs powdercoat?

anodizing has basically the same problems as powdercoat

an anodized part is actually clear and only penatrates the first .002 of an inch into the aluminum . What anodizing does is harden that first .002 of an inch layer .The color comes from a dye bath which is nothing more than RIT dye the same you would use to make a tie die t shirt . and then the part goes in to a sealant bath to try and keep the dye from fading by uv light or wearing off .

anodizing only works good on certain types of aluminum alloy , with 6061 being the best , cast aluminum the worst .

obviously the finish is only going to be as good as the part is to start with and the quality of the shop doing the anodizing .

and rybes is correct , the original DID rims are already clear anodized .
re-doing them is asking for trouble as the anodizing procedure is nothing more than dunking the part in a tank full of battery acid and applying a DC voltage to the part and an aluminum anode in the tank , produces mucho heat , the bigger the part the more the heat .