News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer top speed

Started by Hittman, September 12, 2010, 06:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hittman

Wondering if anyone knows the top speed of a steamer? Mine felt like it hit a wall at 100mph and I assumed it should be quicker than that, anyone know?

Mustang

Depends on the bike .........

I have a 95 that can see 140mph indicated on the speedo .
Takes a little bit to get there but never feels like it "hit a wall"

Tigger three with a sidecar on it has seen a ton on the speedo....... once !

Tigger 2 seems to like to top out at around a 120 mph

anything above 85-90 mph with luggage on a steamer makes them pretty loose feeling .
and even without luggage they can squirm pretty well at 100 .

Why do you want to go that fast anyway ?

If you want better top end you need to open the main jets up some .

JetdocX

Mine has seen 120 a couple of times, but it's not very confidence inspiring at this speed. :shock:  And it's got more, just not willing to push it higher.
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Could sprocket choice make a difference?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "JetdocX"Mine has seen 120 a couple of times, but it's not very confidence inspiring at this speed. :shock:  And it's got more, just not willing to push it higher.

Same here on my 96 tiger. She's got more, but didn't want to test her long legs at that speed. Since the sasquatch upgrade she feels pretty solid at 120, but I remember the way she felt before I did the upgrade and I shy away.

Mind you my 96 Sprint can go 140 no problem: smooooth. And at that speed she feels absolutely planted. The only thing is that I don't feel planted. I get a feeling like I'm about to be peeled off the bike by the wind around that speed. The aerodynamics are just not right for going much more than that. Probably worse on the Tiger.

96 Tiger is rated @ 85 HP, 62 FP torque
96 Sprint is rated @ 98 HP 63 FP torque
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

MtheTiger

QuoteMine has seen 120 a couple of times, but it's not very confidence inspiring at this speed.  And it's got more, just not willing to push it higher.

Same here...front end is getting very light.....perhaps now this will change after I'm done with the Sprint rim conversion and new rubber (Pilot Road 2TC) 120 front & 180 rear. The front Sprint front wheel assy is heavier than the Tigger setup.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Hittman

It's not that I want to go that fast but was just wondering if it was normal or not. Just want to make sure my bike is running correctly.

aeronca

i've got mine up around 120 in the past, but she needs a tune up bad - valves adjusted. like you, now it feels like it's hitting a wall. give it a good tune up (plugs, valve's, etc...)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!