News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stiff Chain Link - any way to free/loosen them?

Started by jsingraham, September 29, 2010, 06:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsingraham

I searched the archives, but didn't find much on this topic...here is my issue/question:

2006 with factory chain and only 9700 miles on the bike.  I have at least a couple of pretty stiff links that don't roll out into a smooth line with the rest of the links when the tire is spun around.  With so few miles, I really don't want to put a new chain and sprockets on it as they are not really worn at all.  I keep the chain lubed well with BelRay lube and it has never really been in any sandy/dirty conditions to speak of other than a few miles here and there on gravel.

So question is whether or not there is any way to try and free or loosen those couple of stiff links or am I going to have to break down and spend the $$$ and get new?  I am not having any major drivability issues, but just notice it slightly when putting around at really slow speeds (which is kind of rare for me).

Thanks in advance for anyone with any advice.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Mustang

Two WORDS

CHAIN OILER

spray on chain lube and or chain wax will do that to o or x ring chains .

I have found that good ol motor oil or transmission fluid with a chain oiler mounted to bike prevents this entirely .

I am still running a chain on tigger 2 (with an oiler BTW) that has been on 3 cross country trips so far as well as normal riding . it has an enormous amount of miles on it and still no kinks  in it .

Chris Canning

Like the man said,I use chain wax,tend to go for less miles on my chain but a clean bike,re the tight links,clean the chain down(properly!!) which includes back wheel out and clean the sprocket and engine sprocket cover off and clean the crud from there as well.

Sprayed the chain in WD and get it like it had just come out the packet,then lubed it with motoroil,paying attention to the tight links and working in by hand,and hey presto,i look to get 17/20,000 out of a chain and clean bike  :D

Spud

I tend to use parafin to clean my chains. I always fit a scottoiler from new to every bike I have. Standard clean spray WD40/GT85 clean with cloth and reapply fresh oil. cheers Spud :wink:

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Spud"I tend to use parafin to clean my chains.

:iagree

i had a couple of tight links on me old chain, soak in paraffin ( kerosene ) get two star screwdrivers that the shaft fits into the space either side of the tight link and work the link untill it frees up, keep it soaked ( WD-40 ) or whatever you have !!

hope this makes sense !!   :?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jsingraham

Thanks for the replies...yes, I am sure that an oiler is the way to go...just never had this issue before, especially on a fairly new chain.  

I did clean it up last night with some diesel fuel and wd-40.  I scrubbed the stiff ones pretty well and then brushed them with a tooth brush good too.  took it out for a short spin tonight, and it seems to maybe have helped a bit.  will do another cleaning of those stiff links this weekend and then just run it for a bit with regular oil on it and will see how it does after going to Jasper and back next weekend.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

TigerTrax

Jason...
Put some tranny fluid on the chain.
It has great cleaning properties and softens the
rubber rings.

I used to have that in my Scottoiler on my Steamer.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'