News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to Tiger

Started by jrockrat, October 01, 2010, 01:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrockrat

Well I finally was able find a tiger....I am now a proud owner of a 1999 Tiger with 14512 miles on it. Unfortunatly I have yet to enjoy riding it. It had a small leak at the valve cover so I wanted to take care of that so.....my bike went from this....

To this.....

While I'm at it, I'm changing the oil and filter, the air filter, fuel filter and checking the valves. Kinda sucks to do all of this and not get to enjoy the bike, but if I've got it tore apart this far I figure what the heck. I need to get a service manual soon, this site has been helpful though as I've been able to get it to this point by looking up stuff on here.

I do have a couple of questions though. I want to do the breather tube mod, and I've looked at the link on here about it, but without a manual, I'm not definite on what I'm looking for. anyone have pictures of a completed modification?
Also with doing the valves, I know it was mentioned that you can use the rear wheel or the crankshaft bolt to turn the cam....my question is where is the access to the cranshaft bolt, the inspection "port"? On my KLR it's an easy screw out plastic plug...I don't see anything like that on the Tiger.
Thanks for any help. I'm looking forward to having some fun once the work is done.  :D

KuzzinKenny

Hey jrockrat !! Welcome to TT.com !! nice Tigger BTW  :thumbsup

can't help with the techy stuff as i've not seen mine stripped that far yet  :shock:

but this should be done while yer in there...

check/change plugs, replace the elbows to the coolant expansion tank ( the plastic ones fail ) you can get brass ones at a DIY store, you are in the US ? it does help if you fill yer profile in a bit  :wink:

check the fuel fittings are NOT plastic, male or female !!

this does help....

http://www.bikebandit.com/1999-triumph- ... r/o/m17562

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

chairhead

Welcome to the asylum,
nice Tigger!.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

jrockrat

Thanks for the welcome. I am doing the spark plugs. I didn't know anything about the coolant tank elbows, I'll have to look into that. The fittings on the tank are plastic (in fact the previous owner just replaced one right before I bought it, why he replaced it with plastic I don't know  :roll: ) I will be taking care of those, but it might not be on this tear down unless I can get the parts ASAP. That may be a winter project.