News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on mechanical problem please

Started by hooligan971, September 23, 2010, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

I just bought a 99 885 Tiger from a collection with low low miles (2222) I rode it from NY where I bought it, here to Va without any serious problems showing up. The only issue is the bike started to idle about 500 rpm higher after riding for about an hour and now continues to do this constantly. If I stop in gear with clutch in when it does this, and I release the clutch just enough to start to put a load on the engine, idle goes back to where it should be, and stays there until next stop. Also, at takeoff , doing what I would probably guess is similar to how they would teach someone at a MSF course or maybe just what you would call a normal, easy takeoff, she has no problem, but when taking off, like I'm sure most of you do when you want to put a little smile on your face, but not anything crazy or damage inducing, I get a shudder for a second in 1st and 2nd. All hoses are ok to the AIR IDLE CONTROL VALVE, and manual seems to point to this valve, also the dealer over the phone says it would be his first guess with these symptoms. What would you guys think ?
  Thanks,
     Patrick
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

iansoady

Yep, sounds as though it might be sticking slightly.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tyger

check the gasket or "grommet" around the AICV. They are known to get old and let air in (or escape).
I think there is a cleaning technique to be performed on them as well but I have not yet tried it.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

hooligan971

Hey guys, I replaced my aicv and that solved the idle issue, but the shudder at takeoff  (lively take off)and thru the first couple of gears is still there, and I'm wondering if it could possibly be just the fact that tire slippage is causing this. I'm running Michelin t66 tires that are in great shape. I have never run this type of tire (on/off road) Do you think that maybe the tread pattern is causing the tire to skip on the road surface under hard throttle ?I've fiddled with the preload and rebound of the rear shock ust to see if it made a difference (doesn't) Any other ideas as to what might be causing this ?
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

John Stenhouse

My guess would be that it's unlikely to be slippage, you should have tubed tyres on that so if it slipped the valve would move, too much movement and the valve would pull out, no valve, no air!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

hooligan971

John,
 I do know that the tire isn't slipping on the rim. My question was about the tread slipping on the surface of the road and causing rapid but minor wheel hop. Since I posted, I've been told about the rev limiter kicking in too early on some of these bikes . Would that give the same shuddering sensation ? It only does it for a second before shifting up.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

John Stenhouse

My guess would be a tight spot on the chain. make sure the chain isn't over tight anyway, the specs in the manual are on the tight side.

hooligan971

John,
  Now that you mention it, the guy I bought it from did say he had adjusted the chain to the specs in the manual and that he thought it seemed too tight. It was a busy and exiting day for me and I forgot that he had even mentioned it. I've never had this happen with any other bikes and have always gone by the book.
What have you guys figured out as far as the best amount of freeplay for this bike ? We are having lots of rain here lately, but hopefully the sun will show itself for a while tomorrow and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the fix is that simple.
  Thanks !
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

John Stenhouse

Check out the wisdom pages it's in there, 60 to 70 mm rather than the 30 to 40 printed.

You can see for your self how tight it gets, just lean on the saddle and look at the chain.

xtphreak

I adjust with me & load on bike
not on center stand
so chain is just off top rubbing block, but not too tight, some slack is necessary

BTW great bike
mine is at 64K+

sometimes the idle is a bit high at startup, doesn't slow down when warmed up

cut key off wait a sec and restart usually goes right to where it needs to be

also a know issue with aprilia's wit Sagem FI system

haroldo_psf

Since we're talking about chain slack, when adjusted properly (not per manual) with 60-70mm, if you put it on the centerstand and let the rear spin, the chain WILL rub on the bottom rub rail...Is it normal?
2000 Tiger 885i