News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crankcase breather seal

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 02, 2010, 06:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

This question's for those folks that have already been into the crankcase breather seal.

I was reading some more on rough running on a car forum yesterday, and one issue that seems to be quite common in the automotive world is the crankshaft sensor playing up, but not due to sensor failure.  In many cases it was due to metallic debris in the area around the sensor affecting it's performance.  Usually a quick clean out is all that is needed to restore normal service.  

Has anyone that's been in there found anything that shouldn't be there?  I'm thinking anything of a magnetic nature in the way of filings, swarf etc.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

The area in that case was clean.  I don't remember specifically seeing the crankcase sensor (I thought it was on the other side) but there were no shavings or anything like behind the case.  Only some flung oil.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

I've had a good read of the Haynes book of lies and it seems that to be sure everything's clean the alternator has to come off so you can check behind it, and the area that the sensor uses as a reference point. :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Doesn't mean there's anything in there though.  I've got to admit, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for ferrous crap to come from in the first place.  If it was open to the sump fair enough - you could find little bits floating about but it's not so I can't see it.

I am intrigued as to how the sensor is triggered though as it doen't have a toothed wheel like the earlier engines where the sensor is on the other side.  If it had that could be a source as someone (Haroldo I think) posted that his wheel had lost some teeth (or maybe that was his Kawasaki.. :roll: ).  There must be something designed into the alternator case.  I can see me pulling it to bits just to find out  :)