News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just bought 1996 Tiger

Started by Midwestguy56, January 14, 2011, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwestguy56

Hello again from a new Tiger owner. Well new to me even though it is a 1996 Tiger. I had a 1995 about a year ago but sold it. Big mistake but the one I have now is even nicer. Mustang I know you will read this, do you still make those lower foot pegs? I would like to purchase another set. One issue I have with this right off is it starts hard and after it is warmed up if I give it the gas it does one of two things. It either revs up real high or dies. Very cold here and I'm wondering if there could be some water in the gas that iced up something. The previous owner sure convinced me it ran fine and it is absolutly cosmetically pristine condition. It was shipped in very cold wet weather and tank was nearly empty when I got it. Any Ideas?

Mustang

check for air leaks at the carb and airbox rubbers .............make sure the blanking cap is on the right hand snorkel .

In the cold it sometimes take quite awhile before you can give it any throttle.

If it's been sitting awhile without running the pilot jets can get clogged with the crap they sell as gas these days .

and yes footpegs are available
http://www.knlcycle.com

aeronca

sounds like a nice ride, cant wait to see the photo's.   welcome aboard 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

jwray76

Welcome back, hopefully you get it all sorted out soon.

Basri...

Wellcome  :) , waiting for the photos...
Basri,

since 1965...

Midwestguy56

Thanks for the info and the welcome back. It is -1 here today. Bike is covered up in garage till warms up a bit. It does not run worth a darn but I'm still very happy with it. Sounds a carb/intake issue. Will work on when it warms up a bit. Thanks!

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Midwestguy56"Thanks for the info and the welcome back. It is -1 here today.

Welcome! Try not to run it when it's this cold: sprag starter clutch is more likely to have issues. You'll know when you hear it: sounds like a loud, solid metal on metal "smack". Had it happen in the cold on my Sprint once. Thankfully it hasn't come back.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"
Quote from: "Midwestguy56"Thanks for the info and the welcome back. It is -1 here today.

Welcome! Try not to run it when it's this cold: sprag starter clutch is more likely to have issues. You'll know when you hear it: sounds like a loud, solid metal on metal "smack". Had it happen in the cold on my Sprint once. Thankfully it hasn't come back.

The sprag clutch is also known to be a victim of weak batteries so them being affected could actually be the cold battery not having enough oomph.  We all know that battery power is much reduced in cold weather and weak ones give up altogether.  Just sayin...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cascadetiger

The colder the weather, the worse my Tiger runs.  From the mid-50'sF and down, I get poor throttle response and surging.  Above this and it runs great.

aeronca

wow, mine runs pretty good in the cold. warms up right away.i dont really notice any powerloss. it must have been built in winter :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

97tiger885

Quote from: "cascadetiger"The colder the weather, the worse my Tiger runs.  From the mid-50'sF and down, I get poor throttle response and surging.  Above this and it runs great.

I've been running mine from the low 20s w/o problem for the last three years.   This mc lives outside under a camo tarp held on with bungee cords.  (I have given up on dedicated mc covers, too expensive, too short-lived.)  My only concern is destroying the sprag clutch because of a low battery.  To prevent this, I hook the mc up to a battery charger every day and I installed a voltmeter.   If I overcrank the starter and the voltmeter drops, I stop trying to start it, put it back on the charger and switch to the FIed BMW.  This doesn't happen too often. The only difficulty with the Tiger is figuring out the amount of choke to use with the given temp.    The amount of choke needed seems to vary greatly depending on the temp.   And twisting the throttle always seems to kill the motor when starting in cold weather, but I continue to twist away anyway.  One day I will figure that out.

BruKen

I always let my tigger warm up for a couple of minutes on starting (not operating temp but warmish) and dont have any issues with cold weather starting either. She is a bit ropey for the first 200 yards after that but settles down very quickly.