News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Consumption, Tank size and reserve 6l (+light)

Started by liddell, December 26, 2010, 01:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddell

hi all, been awhile since Ive been on here, I have searched for this but didn't find anything so here I go

Take Size 24 Litres (from riders manual)
Reserves 6 Litres (riders manual)
Now does this total a 30 Litre tank or total is 24 Litres minus the 6 Litre reserve leaving 18 Litres ???????

Reason I ask this as according to riders manual fuel light should come on and you should have 6 litres left, well as you can see below if the tank including reserve is only 24 litres I should have light on already.

So last ride I rode 338klms to 18.5 litres (no fuel light on, however I was in the red zone on guage) which gives me approx 18klms per litre.

I would really like to know what others are getting (does it depend on riding style? (ride hard or just casula), Whether you are 2 up? etc???)
Jas Liddell
Triumph Tiger 2002 955i (Black)
www.liddell.com.au

Mustang

liddell

thanks for the link, Ive read it completely, it doesn't answer all my Questions though.

Can anyone tell me the actual tank size and does this include the reserve of 6 litres or should be additional?

and is the fuel light suppose to come on whilst in the red zone of guage, as I've never seen the fuel light come on, I know the light itself works.

I've noticed some say doesn't matter there type of riding, fuel consumption never changes others say different, i've been mostly riding 2 up and get details above.

thanks for you time and input
Jas Liddell
Triumph Tiger 2002 955i (Black)
www.liddell.com.au

Timbox2

Ok then, the tank holds 24 litres total and I have found that on the few occasions that Ive managed to fill up close to when the light comes on, yes about 18 litres goes in. The fuel gauge is known to play up, but actually its the less than ideal sender unit in the tank normally, and like you I have found that the gauge is well into the red before the light comes on.

I rarely ride 2 up, but do ride with a fair amount of luggage and generally get 180-190 miles before the light giving 45-47 MPG, but have got 50 odd on a steady throttle on the motorway, think the worst Ive ever seen was around 38 mpg while holding steady 3 figure speeds.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Timbox2"Ok then, the tank holds 24 litres total and I have found that on the few occasions that Ive managed to fill up close to when the light comes on, yes about 18 litres goes in. The fuel gauge is known to play up, but actually its the less than ideal sender unit in the tank normally, and like you I have found that the gauge is well into the red before the light comes on.

I rarely ride 2 up, but do ride with a fair amount of luggage and generally get 180-190 miles before the light giving 45-47 MPG, but have got 50 odd on a steady throttle on the motorway, think the worst Ive ever seen was around 38 mpg while holding steady 3 figure speeds.

Yep I'm around the same,although rarely ride one up,takes around 140 miles for the needle to go from full to off the gauge,then 40/50 till the light comes on.

I've never run mine dry,but from my experience of tanks,rarely can you run e'm dry as the pick up isn't on the bottom for fear of sucking crap up,so your never going to get the benifit of the full 24 liters.

NKL

In 2009 I got 22 litres in mine in the middle of Scotland, the station we used the year before was shut and had to go on to Lairg. It was a bottom clencher, pissing with rain, me and my mate on his 1200GS both with no fuel, its the furthest I have ever gone on a tank.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Danny955i

I go in gallons... so bear with me.

6 gallon tank...

Fuel gauge positions : How much fuel in tank.

FULL : 6
3/4 : 5
1/2 : 4
1/4 : 3
EMPTY : 2
FUEL LIGHT : 1

I average about 220 miles from FULL to FUEL LIGHT... so 220/5 = an avg of 44mpg.

Sometimes... I only get about 160 miles from FULL to FUEL LIGHT... in which case I'm only getting about 32mpg. And that's if I'm riding like a full-blown hooligan.

:)

Timbox2

Quote from: "Danny955i"I go in gallons... so bear with me.

6 gallon tank...

Fuel gauge positions : How much fuel in tank.

FULL : 6
3/4 : 5
1/2 : 4
1/4 : 3
EMPTY : 2
FUEL LIGHT : 1

I average about 220 miles from FULL to FUEL LIGHT... so 220/5 = an avg of 44mpg.

Sometimes... I only get about 160 miles from FULL to FUEL LIGHT... in which case I'm only getting about 32mpg. And that's if I'm riding like a full-blown hooligan.

:)

I take it your over the pond??  Your 44 (US) Mpg equates to about 52 (UK) Mpg, thats very good. Your 32 (US) MPG is about 38 (UK) MPG which is about the same if I rag the hell out of mine.

I must be very bored here, as I dont really give a f..., but its summit to chat about :lol:

Mind you I am noticing that its getting close to £30-00 to fill up now if its pretty empty :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport

Danny955i

Yeah, in the US right now petrol is about 3.50 a gallon. So about $22 US to fill up the bike.