News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OEM Centerstand FIX

Started by TigerTrax, January 30, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

WE all know that Triumph definitely went to the lowest bidder on this 'MUST HAVE' accessory.

My '06 Tiger  w/o luggage & top box  ON CENTERSTAND, the rear tire was less than ½"
off the ground. On a trip this summer I needed to use the centerstand .... ground was uneven
and tire was on the ground.... I found a 1" board for the stand and got the bike up....

Today I decided it was going to come to a halt. The stand comes off for 'some kind of rework'
or I fix it.

When you look at the side of the centerstand where it pivots.... you can see a bright metal ROUND, allen head, bolt that is the STOP when you lower the center stand. That 'shoulder' type bolt is part of the problem.  REPLACE IT. The threads are M10 x 1.25.

ACE Hardware ( Nuts & Bolts gurus ) had exactly what I needed to correct the problem.

I purchased 2 ea  HEX Head /Stainless Steel / Metric  M10 x 1.25  about 1¼" long   AND  4 ea matching washers. ( 1 bolt & 2 washers per side ). *** Your bolt must be SHORT enough to NOT interfere with the RETURN SPRING that is behind the plate you are working on.

I removed the 'stainless steel allen head' bolts and replaced with 1 bolt & 2 washers. ***Put LockTite on the threads!!
You cannot get a socket in there so use a short open end wrench. You have to wiggle the centerstand up/dn as you turn the bolt in... Once in you will see the 2 washers keep the  hex head out enough so that it is positioned perfectly to align with the STOP cam on the  centerstand.

The whole thing takes 30-40 minutes.
The results.... at least for a while .... the centerstand is 'just past center' in upright and lifts the rear tire 2" off the ground! Rock solid!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

YellowTigre

Got some pics for this mod?
1999 Yellow 900i

1984 Can-Am ASE250

Biglad

I'd be very keen to see this too. Will be doing this myself shortly as I am struggling to get mine of the centerstand and I've never had an issue with any of my bikes doing so. My 6ft4" frame normally comes in handy with these things...

Just to keep reminding myself I am a noob, what does the OP mean with ea as in ea bolts and ea washers?
2001 955i Roulette Green

Timbox2

Quote from: "Biglad"I'd be very keen to see this too. Will be doing this myself shortly as I am struggling to get mine of the centerstand and I've never had an issue with any of my bikes doing so. My 6ft4" frame normally comes in handy with these things...

Just to keep reminding myself I am a noob, what does the OP mean with ea as in ea bolts and ea washers?

As in 2 of EACH, 4 of EACH
2016 Tiger Sport

Biglad

ffs, what happened to his ch's lol...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Timbox2

Quote from: "Biglad"ffs, what happened to his ch's lol...

I blame the texting generation, everythings shortened these days, CU L8R :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Biglad

Thnx 4 that...I'm not that good at it I suppose   8)
2001 955i Roulette Green

TigerTrax

really... just replace the ROUND allen head bolt that you see when you squat down and look at the side of the centerstand. Replace it  with a
HEX head bolt. The larger HEX head is just enough to STOP
the centerstand in it's almost highest position. The bolt only needs to be about 1¼" long. M10 x 1.25 x  xxxmm

When you get ready to screw the bolts in: Put Loctite on the threads
and slip 2 flat washers onto the bolt; Then screw it in.

You'll have to use an open end wrench.

The repositioned centerstand 'cam' is now very easy to
push fwd. If you think it's too close.... simply file down the HEX head
a bit (both sides ).
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Biglad

Right, another mod done. Center stand is now much straighter and rear wheel clearing the deck by at least an inch. The bike comes of the stand a lot easier as well. All I could get around here was normal steel Hex M10's that were 25mm long with washers. This is still plenty long enough even with two washers on each bolt. The spring is touching the nut on the lhs, will keep an eye on this as I don't want it to damage the spring over time. I might have to take this one out again and shorten it a bit.

The main bolts with the nylux washers were very loose so I tightened these to the point where the stand still move freely but there was no more play in the bolts.
2001 955i Roulette Green

blacktiger

2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "Biglad"ffs, what happened to his ch's lol...

I blame the texting generation, everythings shortened these days, CU L8R :lol:

It's nothing to do with that. It's the way things are done in engineering companies so that it saves a lot of time, ink and effort when writing a huge parts list.

Biglad

Cheers Black Tiger. I've just picked up on the new hole you drilled to move the spring over a little. I noticed that the op mentioned bolts with a length of 1and a 1/4 inch, which is way to long for the side where the spring is, even my slightly shorter bolt is way to long. Moving the spring over has helped a bit but I think I'll revisit this some evening. Thanks for the contribution and the pictures.
2001 955i Roulette Green

blacktiger

Quote from: "Biglad"I noticed that the op mentioned bolts with a length of 1and a 1/4 inch, which is way to long for the side where the spring is, even my slightly shorter bolt is way to long.

A hacksaw is your friend.

Biglad

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Biglad"I noticed that the op mentioned bolts with a length of 1and a 1/4 inch, which is way to long for the side where the spring is, even my slightly shorter bolt is way to long.

A hacksaw is your friend.

I like it!! Might use the old angle grinder, carefully... :D
2001 955i Roulette Green