News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice needed re Steamer rebuild

Started by EPO, February 06, 2011, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Mustang you overtly rational and practical git. It's Valentines tomorrow. Just reminding yer cos I see misery on the horizons :D

EPO

I'm thankful for the rational response. I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses I think. I like the bike but the income from selling the parts could fund a much better bike.

I'm going to do some more searching next weekend. If I cannot track down the remaining bits, I'll ebay what I've got I reckon.

BruKen

Well Mustangs knowledge is second to none and his input is a major reason behind the technical success of the site. I seem to recall he was less than complimentary when I started YAPI and she scrubbed up well. A project bike is always more about soul and heart than practicality. What is practicality? Your bike as it stands is considered a write off in every sense. I'd say dry build her. If you have all the parts, build her. If you haven't, part sell her.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "EPO"Update: I've been sorting out the garage and trying to do some sort of inventory. Here's what I have so far.

The engine number has the flat plate so I assume it is a 93 model. However, the engine number is DCC7478 but the frame number is *SMTTD430DKP007377*   Does this mean the engine is a replacement I wonder? Lots of the cover bolts have been replaced with hex heads in a variety of colours so its been opened up in the past. No records at all.

The calipers look rough. I took one apart for a look and all the rubber seals are perished, the pad pins are corroded and the bleed nipples rounded. On the plus side the pistons look clean and there was still some cleanish fluid in the bodies.

The carbs are better than expected despite being dirty. I gave them a quick spray with carb cleaner and worked them over with a stiff brush. I reckon they'll be good.

Exhaust is all there but the clamps are well corroded. Are the headers stainless as they look very solid? The silencers look okay.

The coils are labelled PVL which I believe is good news!

The engine is well corroded at the front. The exhaust studs are missing completely. In places its a mass of furry white yuck. I scraped a bit away and it looked shiny underneath but pitted. The engine side covers are odd colours - one red and one blue?

There are several big boxes of parts, some of which are bagged up and labelled. The loom is there.

I couldn't find chain. sprockets, swinging arm, rear mudguard, front mudguard, headlamps, iginition block, radiator. There are some other boxes hidden away though.

My big question has got to be is it viable to rebuild this machine or should I sell the parts? My budget is about £1000.

You can get new seals for the calipers from Triumph Online:
http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/caliper ... 6889-p.asp
http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/triumph ... 6890-p.asp
You can get Stainless Steel pad pins, etc. from there.

As Mustang said, the VIN number and engine numbers do not match on the Hinckley's.  Your number is 9 digits away from mine, so it is the original engine that has the flat plate on top.

But it sounds like these are the least of your worries :(

Engine covers come up from time to time on eBay fairly cheaply.  Studs for the exhausts can be fitted.  There is nothing you have mentioned that is terminal.  It's just time and money.  If you want to do it quickly, it's going to cost, if you want to do it cheaply, you are best biding your time and waiting for parts to come along that are the right price (whatever that may be).  I would buy a cheap bike to get you on the road and treat this one as a long term project to keep you away from the misses in the evening and at weekends.

And yes, the headers are stainless steel.  Why they didn't carry this through to the exhausts, I don't know.

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"Mustang you overtly rational and practical git. It's Valentines tomorrow. Just reminding yer cos I see misery on the horizons :D
took care of that yesterday with Diamonds

Mrs. Mustang likes them better than Tiggers  :shock:

rf9rider

Quote from: "EPO"I'm thankful for the rational response. I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses I think. I like the bike but the income from selling the parts could fund a much better bike.

I'm going to do some more searching next weekend. If I cannot track down the remaining bits, I'll ebay what I've got I reckon.

List what you want on here first, we may have what you need.

If you do break it, list the parts up on here first, i`m still after a few bits for my rebuild.  :D

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BruKen"Mustang you overtly rational and practical git. It's Valentines tomorrow. Just reminding yer cos I see misery on the horizons :D
took care of that yesterday with Diamonds

Mrs. Mustang likes them better than Tiggers  :shock:

Oh you big softy  :P  :P  well done :)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "rf9rider"
Quote from: "EPO"I'm thankful for the rational response. I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses I think. I like the bike but the income from selling the parts could fund a much better bike.

List what you want on here first, we may have what you need.

If you do break it, list the parts up on here first, i`m still after a few bits for my rebuild.  :D

Second that :)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "BruKen"Well Mustangs knowledge is second to none and his input is a major reason behind the technical success of the site. I seem to recall he was less than complimentary when I started YAPI and she scrubbed up well. A project bike is always more about soul and heart than practicality. What is practicality? Your bike as it stands is considered a write off in every sense. I'd say dry build her. If you have all the parts, build her. If you haven't, part sell her.
+1

And here is the best photo I could take of the engine cover that appears on the early Hinckley engines: