News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 fork oil

Started by NKL, February 21, 2011, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKL

Done a search but not found an answer, so.... can anyone tell me the grade and amount or level for a 2006.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Not sure anybody has found a definate answer to this. My Bike has Hyperpro Progressive springs and Hyperpro recommend 500cc in each leg 15cwt oil.

The Haynes manual says all 955 from 2002 on 720cc 10cwt. Now, I know that the ally wheel Tigers have less travel and different internals, so I cant see that being correct for them. So, what you are supposed to use in a standard setup I dont know Im afraid, but somebody may be along soon who does.
2016 Tiger Sport

walker

the grade of oil will depend on how much damping you want :)  I used a 7.5 "weight", however, it had a viscosity index close to the honda branded 10 "weight" oil.

Probably safe to stick with a 7.5-10 weight synthetic.

Best way to measure is as the service manual says - no spring, compress the fork, fill the oil to:

Tiger up to VIN 198874 107 mm* 720 cc
Tiger from VIN 198875 146 mm* 655cc

The mm is the distance from the top of the tube (When compressed) to the oil level.

Seemed to work for me.... if you wanted a little more resistance to compression at the bottom of the travel, you can add 10% or so more oil. Maybe even 20% more.... but don't go crazy with that... you need some air in there :)

Timbox2

Quote from: "walker"the grade of oil will depend on how much damping you want :)  I used a 7.5 "weight", however, it had a viscosity index close to the honda branded 10 "weight" oil.

Probably safe to stick with a 7.5-10 weight synthetic.

Best way to measure is as the service manual says - no spring, compress the fork, fill the oil to:

Tiger up to VIN 198874 107 mm* 720 cc
Tiger from VIN 198875 146 mm* 655cc

The mm is the distance from the top of the tube (When compressed) to the oil level.

Seemed to work for me.... if you wanted a little more resistance to compression at the bottom of the travel, you can add 10% or so more oil. Maybe even 20% more.... but don't go crazy with that... you need some air in there :)

Ahh, well done walker that looks better and makes sense. My Progressive springs probably have a few more coils hence Hyperpros reduction in the quantity.
2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

Thanks for that, I new someone must have a manual to cover the later bikes.
What viscosity does the manual state?.
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

walker

says Kayaba G10 fork oil

I'm guessing it's a 10 weight. I used a 7 weight synthetic - it had the same viscosity index as a honda 10 weight that I can find easily around here. Seems about the same.

If you are happy with the damping currently, 10 weight will do fine.

Here are the stats for maxima fork oil: http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index ... ucts_id=44

Info on fork oil stuff:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25933305/fork-oil-weights
http://www.transmoto.com.au/enduro/prod ... ghts-Table

Now - I went with maxima racing fluid - 7wt - because while it was a little under the spec cSt @ 40C, it was about the same cSt @ 100C. I was afraid that the 10wt would be too thick - too much damping... but after trying the 7wt maxima, I would have been fine with either one.

The spec on a Kayaba G10s is 33 cSt @ 40c and 5.7 cSt @ 100c, which is closer overall to the maxima 7wt racing vs the 10wt.

Sort of depends on what you want the front to do I suppose. Can't really go wrong with a 10 weight :)

NKL

Thank you very much, most comprehensive, I am happy with the front end damping as is exept will probably go for smaller air gap to reduce dive whilst I do oil change during this service.
Cheers, Nigel
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100