News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'01 955i Thunderbike Crash Bar Mounting Hardware

Started by jflugo, February 27, 2011, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jflugo

Greetings all,

I have an '01 Tiger 955i (last few of the VIN 130866), acquired in the summer of 2010 with 18,000 miles.  My first farkle are the Thunderbike crash bars, acquired last August.   I haven't had a chance to install them until now - or so I thought.  :oops:

As I got around to preparing for the installation, I discovered that the mounting hardware was MIA.  Chalk it off to a wifey OCD cleaning frenzy . . . :BangHead:

I wondered if anyone out there had a listing of the mounting components, so I may source them locally.  I'd also welcome any comments on their installation.

Thanks to all, and to all my best regards!

jflugo

Well, I sent a note to the guys are Thunderbike, and they responded right away - they rock!!  I've read very good things about them online, and they certainly seem true!

For anyone else may inquire, the parts required to fit the crash bar are:

- 4 x M8 x 130mm long socket (Allen) head bolts
- 2 x M8 x 3mm thick washers

And now to find them.

Questions for the Yanks in the audience.  Would the friendly True Value Hardware stock these in their handy hardware bin?  What type of metal would be best - are stainless OK for the application?  Obviously something that won't rust, but I don't know if there is a specific metal or alloy that should be employed due to certain tolerances.

Regards.

Mustang

even tractor supply will have them .........any half ass hardware store should have metric allen head bolts

jflugo

Hardware stores may be salty in New Hamster, not so much around DC.

Several trips to small and large hardware and auto parts stores yielded no results.  However, a trip to a friendly local motorcycle shop, Cycles of Silver Spring (Maryland) provided a pointer to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), a online purveyor of all types of hardware and fasteners.  An order placed on a Tuesday resulted in delivery by Friday - not too bad!

And now I'd better install the thing before the wife throws it out again.  Over and out . . .

Warm regards to all.