News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand angle

Started by R0B, May 02, 2011, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

Having fitted a centre stand the other day, all it has done is reinforce how bad the side stand is. The bike nearly tipped yesterday when I attempted to use it. Has anyone modified theirs?. I'm thinking that it might be an idea to cut the top section of tube (that bends), put a rod in the centre and then extend the length by an inch or so...........generally trying to get the bike a bit more upright........

Rob

MtheTiger

search the forum 'cause there is a thread about a reinforcing mod....
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

R0B

I don't think I need to re-inforce it..........I want to make the bike stand more upright, which means I will need to lengthen it....I think?.........I think the angle of dangle is too much :-)

Thanks

Rob

Nick Calne

They are all like that sir.

It is bending in the stand that causes the issue.

The thread has the answers.  The real answer is the centre stand though.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

or build up the foot ?

abruzzi

I just replaced it with a new stand from triumph--$80.  Over time, the stand bends near the pivot point.  If you had a welder you could cut a V in the stand, bend it back and weld it.

Geof

nightrunner

Also the pivot holes (clevis?) wear out and get loose.  Check how much play there is from where the stand just touches the ground compared to fully leaning on its stand.  That extra lean angle puts more force on the stand which causes the bending.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Jomama

There are some pictures in my thread about this here for comparison..
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=#53780
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "R0B"Having fitted a centre stand the other day, all it has done is reinforce how bad the side stand is. The bike nearly tipped yesterday when I attempted to use it. Has anyone modified theirs?. I'm thinking that it might be an idea to cut the top section of tube (that bends), put a rod in the centre and then extend the length by an inch or so...........generally trying to get the bike a bit more upright........

Rob
I damaged my fuel tank because of the f**cking side stand.  Whenever I do any work now, I put it on the side stand and strap the sidestand to the front wheel or to the bash guard.

nightrunner

Quote from: "R0B"Having fitted a centre stand the other day, all it has done is reinforce how bad the side stand is. The bike nearly tipped yesterday when I attempted to use it. Has anyone modified theirs?. I'm thinking that it might be an idea to cut the top section of tube (that bends), put a rod in the centre and then extend the length by an inch or so...........generally trying to get the bike a bit more upright........

Rob

I think once I made sure the clevis joint was not wobbling, I would weld some gusseting along the inside of the curved section and all the way up to the where it mounts.  If it still needs to be lengthened then maybe bolt a pad on the bottom of the existing one.  I read a post where someone used a hockey puck and it worked well.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

R0B

Well as usual, you lads are right, there is a bend on the straight bit :-). I think I will buy a new one, and then butcher this one. I'll straighten it, cut the tubing, insert a steel rod, and re-weld it.......see if the UPofS bends then!! :-)

Rob

rybes

if your gunna buy a new one and chop it up. wont it be cheaper to just keep the pivot point of your old stand and make a new one from that. could make it any length ya want then.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

abruzzi

Quote from: "rybes"if your gunna buy a new one and chop it up. wont it be cheaper to just keep the pivot point of your old stand and make a new one from that. could make it any length ya want then.

Why chop a new one?  They put the bike at a good angle when new, it's just after 10 years, they sag. Either buy a new one, or chop your old one.

Geof

Rocinante

Find a welder, straighten it out and reinforce it in the bend (what´s left of it) with a little piece of steel. Piece of cake, lasts forever.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com