News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Typing Moron

Started by Dred, April 21, 2011, 08:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dred

BixerBob caught me on another thread, and I feel like more typing before work, so ...

I'm hoping not to lose friends I haven't made yet.  And, I'll state right up front that I absolutely respect ATGATT or AGATT riderstyle choices.  I also appreciate (mostly) other's concerns for my safety and well-being.

But ... I already stated that I might be a moron, so, let's type and see if I can get y'all to understand that I may just be a bit more "risk tolerant" than the next guy/gal.

BixerBob called me out about a comment I slipped regarding my wife's heels scaring the front of my HT Panniers on a Toys & Farkles Thread.  I typed this bit in there and thought better of placing this response which is irrelevant to that thread and that forum.  

But, here goes - here:  
QuoteI know, I know.  But, it's actually the 3" heel on a pair of thick leather boots.  I can't bring myself to complain 8).

Admittedly, I'm the bad influence in the home. I'm not the ATGATT (or AGATT?) type, but I do enjoy upwards of 20k miles a year in the saddle.  I do own a quality helmet, a quality leather riding jacket, several pairs of quality leather riding boots and a quality pair of leather riding pants and two quality pairs of riding chaps.  I also have more than a few pairs of riding gloves of varying quality.  I use the term quality to determine/evaluate their relative ability to protect me from that Mayhem dude on TV.  

Been down 3 times in 38 years.  1) 22 years ago - friends GSXR with a pillion - drunk and stupid wearing shorts and tank top at pool party - buzzing the party house at 90+ mph when I realized I hadn't ever been past the house on a residential street which turned 90 degrees at the next driveway - rode that one out sitting on the top side in the grass (cost me a pulled groin (lifting the bike in a panic) and $300 in new plastic.  2) 20 years ago (Honda Transalp) in a turn behind a driver that didn't realize she needed her gas cap who had just topped up her tank and spilled across the entire road directly in front of me.  3) 2006 in a low speed turn to approach a New Hampshire gas pump on a day started in NYC going to Laconia on a rented Harley - that stock seat took all life out of my legs and it was all I could muster to get my legs out of the way (no damage to bike - just my ego).  And, 4) 3 years ago traveling behind my wife who gave up completely in a sweeping turn on a wet road; I panic'd, stabbed the front brake and proceeded to deliberately attempt to steer my fully loaded Valkyrie Interstate (read fat PIG) with my elbow; had her bike parked at a nearby friends, rode the rest of the way to the campsite without a right side highway peg; had a friend enjoy the heck out of cleaning my elbow and removing the gravel with tweezers and partied the rest of the weekend.

Never scratched a helmet ( and never contacted the ground with my head) and my favorite riding boots sport a gouge that proves their worth.  Was down once with my Heine Gerick (sp?) leather and it didn't even get scratched.

I rode dirt starting at age 6, so I learned a lot about graceful dismounts in my formative years.  

I gotta say I respect every rider's (with insurance) right to whatever floats their boat ... even if I laugh out loud when I see flip flop, shorts and tank top geared riders wearing $800 helmets with the visor up at 90 mph on urban highways.  I know odds are I will encounter Mayhem again, and I know I've been exceptionally lucky.  I Pay it Forward and believe I keep karma smiling.

Mostly I gear up to satisfy my instinct.  Always have leather, gloves and rain suit in the cans, but I can get caught without an available helmet.  I ride with all types and even if I call the riders that match their leather suits to their helmets and bikes power rangers ('cause they are always in a freak'n hurry), I respect their sense.  When I take off to explore my limits and the bike's limits you'll find me geared in good denim, protective boots, gloves, jacket and helmet.  But, most of the time my purpose is to:  Enjoy the Ride.

So, call me stupid.  Type nasty at me.  Whatever.  But, let me buy you a beer when the opportunity approaches and we can trade stories.  Yes, I have friends that were killed on motorcycles.  Yes, I know it's dangerous.  Yes I wear my seatbelt in cages.  Yes, I love to ride.

Done, and sorry for soooo much typing.  No time to edit - gotta get to work.

Dred

Mustang

yadd, yadda yadda  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

Wow,  that's some response!!

First, didn't notice earlier that you were new on here, I'd have been more careful if I had.

Second, it was the word "shoe" that triggered my response.  I had a mental picture of a short skirt and some 3" spike heel affair like a girl at our local meet last week.

Third, once you've been on here a while, you'll get to know I NEVER preach at people; it's each to his own and no business of mine.  Reading it again, my comment comes across harsher than was meant when I typed it; I was joking with you but it doesn't read that way and for that I apologise.

Do enjoy the forum, it's a good, helpful community and a mine of good information  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

walker

I got so tired of trying to figure out gear combinations, I just have an aerostich and wear it all the time.

comes in handy when it rains (like this morning). Also have been hit by large gravel at speed - and I am so glad I had it on (it would have torn up my knees).

Everybody here is pretty civil - they may tease you from time to time, but it's a good group. You don't see that often.

Stick around - it gets better  :)

Dred

Bixxer Bob,

I took no offense and interpreted it rather lightly.  And, heck, my wife would look great in the outfit you described <g>.  I didn't mean to sound as if I felt called-out.  That babble was all me - just crediting you for the triger.  So ... absolutely no harm or foul on your part.  I've got some self inspired complex mixing with y'all sensible folk <g>.  I'm thrilled with my Tiger and this place has been a great find.

I'm not new to net forums so my skin is not thin.  I'm am prone to running on at the keyboard.  I was guilty this morning.

I'm in full discovery mode ... gonna take the Tiger cross country in less than two months and I've still got a few bits to get sorted.  I just gotta stretch two paychecks worth of budget far enough to accomodate the necessities.  I need a Palmer rig 'cause the MRA Vario I have is worthless, I've gotta check on a couple mods I think are essential (breather and airbox), I've gotta actually fix an electrical gremlin that appeared last weekend 'cause my zip tie bandaid won't last forever (ignition wiring short), etc.

Thanks to ya'll that have been there and figure'd it already ... I think I can stretch the budget far enough to make the trip a success.

Oh, and that Steamer's got nice gams <smile>.

Dred

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...