News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain cleaning WD-40 or Kerosene?

Started by Flying Tiger, August 10, 2006, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tiger

IÌm doing routine chain cleaning maintenance and have read that many riders use either WD-40 or kerosene soaked rags.  I'm leaving the chain on the sprockets.  

Does it matter if one uses WD-40 to clean the chain?  Some say it can shorten the life of the o-rings due to some solvents that it contains.  Or is it just a horse a piece.

After cleaning the chain IÌve just been using Yamaha Chain Lube.  (leftover from my XT 600 days)

Sabre

Both WD-40 and kerosene are solvents (it's surprising how many people treat WD-40 as a LUBRICANT).  Either will do a great job of cleaning your chain. I've never seen any evidence that either will attack your o-rings, but it makes sense to think that prolonged or frequent exposure to solvents might harden them up. I would suspect that you'll want to replace your chain and sprockets anyway long before this really became an issue.  I've never looked to see what the chain manufacturers recommend; this might address your concern directly.

Pretty much any chain lube is fine for modern o-ring/x-ring chains, although the Yamalube DOES have the added benefit of evoking memories of those halcyon XT600 days for you! :D
I could tell you more, but suddenly I am run over by a truck.

-Michael O\'Donoghue, How to Write Good

ArizonaKid

Ditto on the previous post.  You can actually buy a "chain scrubber" gizzmo that flops over the chain and holds a small amount of solvent.  You hold it and run the chain through it and it has built in brushes that, along with the solvent, suposedly remove some/most of the crud that builds up.  Too complicated for me.  I've simply used the solvent (kero, BBQ lighter fluid (don't laugh), WD40, whatever) on a rag for regular surface cleaning and then about once a year I break out a toothbrush and give it a good scrubbing.  

As far as lube goes, I've grown fond of the "chain wax" variety of chain lube products.  After they set up, the lube won't fling off the chain like other lubes and it works great.  Of course you'll probably hear from the "Scott Oiler" crowd that enjoys copious amounts of oil being flung all over the place, albeit "automatically".  Not my cup of tea, but to each his own.  The bottom line, a well maintained and well lubed chain will help the chain and the sprockets last a looooooooong time.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

TigerTrax

For that 'New, Freshy Chain Look and Feeling' .... try 'Good Ol ATF'.

It's a great cleaner and 'O' ring friendly'! Used it in my Scott oiler several years.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Silverstripes

Yep I'm one of the Scotoiler brigade.

Fit and forget, just top it up every 1- 1.5 k