News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oops B***er

Started by Bixxer Bob, May 02, 2011, 04:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I was happily doing some research last night when I clicked on a tech data sheet download link.  Instead of a download frame opening McAfee goes beserk, warnings popping up all over the place, CPU goes into overdrive.  "That shouldn't be happening", I thinks so pulls the plug on the broadband hub.

Too late though, laptop freezes, turned off, won't boot  :BangHead

Managed to get in and suck majority of data onto a USB drive but Outlook is effed, so many important Emails lost.  Spent most of today trying to rebuild it but had to give in and do a clean install in the end.  

I know better, but still didn't have everything backed up.  If it matters to you, back it up now, you know you should....  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I was happily doing some research last night when I clicked on a tech data sheet download link.  Instead of a download frame opening McAfee goes beserk, warnings popping up all over the place, CPU goes into overdrive.  "That shouldn't be happening", I thinks so pulls the plug on the broadband hub.

Too late though, laptop freezes, turned off, won't boot  :BangHead

Managed to get in and suck majority of data onto a USB drive but Outlook is effed, so many important Emails lost.  Spent most of today trying to rebuild it but had to give in and do a clean install in the end.  

I know better, but still didn't have everything backed up.  If it matters to you, back it up now, you know you should....  :wink:

Happened to me desktop a few weeks back, poxy Trojan got past the firewall, mine would still boot, but the thing took control of everything, clean Install for me too, I was fortunate in having done a full backup the week before, phew.

I'd took Norton off a few weeks before and installed Microsofts own security system on the recommendation of a guy at work, big mistake. Out of interest I put Norton back on, and it immediately found another copy of the Trojan still hiding in the compressed backup and quarantined it, another phew.
2016 Tiger Sport

rf9rider

No problems here, i use Linux.  :D

harre

I'm on a Mac so I'm pretty safe from infections. However, I seem to manage to crash my laptop without the help of trojans. "That folder does not seem important, I'd better delete it...". Time Machine (Mac backup utility) saved my day the last time.

Nick Calne

Ah Bob, nightmare!

Two things:

Linux is really good.
External hard drives for backing up are £50 at PC world....
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

MtheTiger

Always perform regular backups (works also good on GF's  :lol:  8) )

I do this weekly on two different HD's and yearly also on DVD's.

I use the free AVAST scanner which works a treat and recognizes & quarantines everything. Mc Afee & Norton are way to large and make PC's very slow because of all the shit they're running in the background so no thanx for me.

Cheers

M
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

cosmo

Quote from: "nickcalne"Ah Bob, nightmare!

Two things:

Linux is really good.
External hard drives for backing up are £50 at PC world....

Hell, I've been known to duct tape in a second internal; works the same, easy enough to swop. Bit cheaper, too.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

Got a local server for storage / backups, just didn't do them often enough.  How do you make Outlook store on a server instead of the local C drive?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

You'd probably need microsoft exchange, what are you running on the server, what sort of server you got etc?

You can always save emails in .msg format- that's another simple way of backing up the important ones.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?