News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil pan from other triumphs?

Started by wakdady, August 26, 2011, 05:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakdady

My tiger leaks pretty bad. i thought it was just the crush washer, but after doing an oil change for the first time last night, i say that the threads on the sump itself were a little mangled at the very end (the bottom).
So i guess the crush washer can't seat very well on it.
The original copper washer on there were actually two washers, a small one and a large one that fit inside of each other. whereas the one i got from triumph was much larger. i tried both ways and ended up going to the washer that were already there.
I also tried using thread sealant on the drain bolt hoping that would help.
NOPE, come out this morning and a big puddle under the damn thing!!

so, i figure i'll just replace the sump and be done with it. but bikebandit wants $360!! are there any other Triumph models that use the same oil pan? I see a few on ebay for prices that i'm actually willing to pay

or, is there another fix to this?

thanks in advance!

rybes

did ya change the o rings on the oil filter base plate ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

wakdady

i did. i cleaned everything very well. before and after the oil change. it is definitely coming from the drain bolt.

Mustang

take your sump to someone who welds aluminum , build it up and rethread , machine it .........or
the sump from a carb'd sprint , trident 900 , early daytonas , early speed triples , 900 trophys , and probably even the tbirds will work

wakdady

just an update. the threads in the pan are pretty much ruined. when i remove the drain bolts, little bits of aluminum threading come out with it.
i managed to get a thunderbird oil pan for $40 off ebay.
but in the mean time, i used high temp copper silicone in the threads and tried not to overtighten. So far, it's holding quite nicely. Only catch is, you have to let it cure for a good 24 hours before filling it with oil.