News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tuneboy ECU problem

Started by delecti, May 26, 2011, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delecti

hi gentlemen,
Had the tigger down to the Triumph dealer brisans in newcastle with the problem of it stalling at startup. they checked the whole system out with an autoscan on the triumph diagnostic computor, cleared fault PO0463 fuel sensor circuit high input, and reset tps checked iavc and loaded the latest tune.
I mentioned tuneboy to the service manager and he indicated that any triumph with tuneboy setup when connected to the triumph diagnostic computer would damage ie stuff the ECM! anyone heard anything about this? the bloke who developed tuneboy was an ex-employee and had the triumph codes any truth in this?
Mark
PS the bike is going ok now.
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Bixxer Bob

Can't see how; sounds like scare tactics.  I use both Tuneboy and TuneECU  and don't have any problems swapping.  For what it's worth, after my dealer experiences I wouldn't let one anywhere near mine so the issue doesn't arise... :)

Oh and just to add, only 4 pins are used in the multiplug, ground, two data pins and power.  I can't see how the Triumph gameboy is gonna screw the ECU using them, unless there's a timebomb in the software, and since it's a french SAGEM unit used on a lot of cars as well as bikes, I don't see that happening either.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tom_Hamburg

Hi Mark,

what the dealer told you is completely made up of the air.
I use TuneEdit since 2001 and TuneECU since 2010 and at
many bikes. All are still intact.:D

One limitation is only one of the last TuneEdit versions.
Since TuneECU on the market, Wayne MacDonald has to protect its dat-files,
the file checksum from his dat files changed.
This leads to the problem that the T-dealers to the ECU has no more access
especially with the switchable maps of Wayne.
This problem has told me a friend who works at a T-dealer.

BR, Tom
www.tuneecu.net
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Triumph Rocket Roadster

Bixxer Bob

Interesting information Tom,  I too have Tunedit and don't have any problems swapping between TuneECU and Tunedit but I've not been back to a dealer since getting them.  In fact I regularly modify tunes in Tunedit and then download them with TuneECU for sharing with others.  If using Tunedit means the Triumph dealer can no longer  access the ECU, Wayne should make this clear.   I'll drop him a line and ask fofr his comments.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tom_Hamburg

Hi,

There are not affected all cards, according to the information from my mechanic
some maps for Keihin and maps, which have the table switching (3 maps on the fly) are affected.

The affected cards also can not be read with TuneECU from the ECU.

The mechanic could thankfully still using with the old T-diagnostic device to the ECU.

Whether Wayne this has now corrected, I do not.

BR, Tom

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Interesting information Tom,  I too have Tunedit and don't have any problems swapping between TuneECU and Tunedit but I've not been back to a dealer since getting them.  In fact I regularly modify tunes in Tunedit and then download them with TuneECU for sharing with others.  If using Tunedit means the Triumph dealer can no longer  access the ECU, Wayne should make this clear.   I'll drop him a line and ask fofr his comments.
www.tuneecu.net

delecti

Hi guys,
Im not sure if the new t-diagnostic has this ability to damage the ecu the guy was adament it will, the concern is someone buys a second hand bike takes it to the t dealer and it has a tuneboy tune and the ecu frys.
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Bixxer Bob

I think we have to be clear about what is meant by "fry".  TO fry something electronic, you have to overheat it until it shorts out and dies, or is subjected to over voltage or a short which damages internal components.  Connecting a device that is normally meant to communicate data cannot do this.

What is possible is that the T-diagnostic cannot communicate with the ECU due to a wrong checksum (as Tom suggests) and  whilst thrying somehow the map is corrupted so the bike will no longer start.  Even in that situation, Tunedit or TuneECU should be able to recover the ECU depending on which type of map was put in there.

I agree it's a worry for anyone buying a second hand bike (I have a spare ECU so hey ho,,) loioks like the resale value of ECUs is going to look healthy  :?

Bixxer Bob

I have Tuneboy's response:

Hi John,

My apologies for the delay in replying.

This is completely incorrect.  The dealer tool is still completely functional after use with TuneEdit.  Nothing will happen to damage or lock the ECU.  The dealer cannot even tell if TuneEdit has been connected to the bike.

We have heard  this rumour is being spread through Australian dealers at "new model training" to try and scare people off using our software.
There is absolutely no truth in it whatsoever.

Many thanks for contacting us :)

Kind regards,

Emma Macdonald
Sales and Administration

That should clear that up.... :wink:

Tom_Hamburg

Hi,

Honestly, you expected a different answer? :wink:

BR, Tom
www.tuneecu.net

Bixxer Bob

Nope, but at least I have it from the horse's mouth so to speak  :D

delecti

thanks for the imput, on this. It hasnt helped the dead spot I now have between 1500 and 2000rpm anyway I'll get there.
Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?