News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can't get my tank back on... (really)

Started by Danny955i, June 09, 2011, 03:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

I've had my tank on and off a bunch this year... but for some reason, I go to put the tank on today and the bolt holes for the front and rear don't line up.

Sitting it down into the frame, I can get the rear bolt in no issue, however the front hole is about 1/2 an inch DOWN from where it should be...

I can kinda lift the tank and set the bolt down in there and start it, but then it cross-threads if I put any twist on it.

I don't want to goose the hole in the frame, so what happened here?

The tank is sitting 100% where it should... and I can't manage to see any obstruction...

Did my frame bend? Did the tank settle? What gives?

Mustang

the plastic shrinks due to weather changes and not being attached to the bike . wait and see what its like when its 16 years old like my 95 .

seriously , start all the bolts a few threads and leave them loose until you have all the bolts started . sitting in the hot sun for a couple hours sometimes helps too !

Putts255

I had the same problem and found that one of my fuel hoses was turned around and under the left side of the tank and could not see it.  Took me taking the tank off and then on a few times to actually see it.  

Just a suggestion....hope you figure it out though.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Bixxer Bob

What Mustang said.  I've had this a couple of times and learned its not a good idea to put the tank on the floor unsupported for any length of time especially with anything more than dregs of fuel in it and its warm outside.

1/2 an inch is more than Iv'e ever had though, so like Puts I'd be loking for something trapped.

Where are you Danny?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Is the airbox FULLY home?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Danny955i

Airbox is installed properly, yes. I had the tank off in 90 degree weather on the day I was fiddling with my throttle bodies and vacuum lines...

I stripped the allen bolt trying to drive it home, so I'm going to buy a new one about an inch longer to get it started easier.

The other thing I may try is to put a ratchet strap around the tank and leave it in the sun for an hour and just crank it in a little bit then bring it in the house... that could get me back my 1/2 inch.

Stupid plastic crap. Haha.

Oh, and I'm located in Massachusetts, USA. It's been 80-100 here for the past week with HIGH humidity.

TigerTrax

Danny...
That allen or torque bolt under the battery case.... replace it with a
long hex head bolt. It's alot easier to remove & replace.

As for the fit... don'tbe so quick to think the tank has 'changed size'.
1/2" is a lot. I would make certain those rubber bushings under the tank are on correctly and the tank is lying on them properly.

I have wrestled with the tank on occasion. Try installing the back bolt first
just getting the threads started a turn or two.  Then 'work' your tank forward. ( Wrap you front brake lever; Put the bike in gear; All so you put some weight & muscle getting the tank forward. ) I have spent upwards of an hour on this.... and sometimes 10 minutes ( go figure ).
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Danny955i

Tiger Trax.... The bolt hole went DOWN... so I have to pull the tank BACK towards the seat...

The bottom of the bolt-hole is resting at the bottom of the hole in the tank where the rubber bushing goes.

The back of the tank is settled on the frame brace per the norm.

I think 2 long bolts, and a little 'love' are in order. I know the side-pucks are in place as well I actually electrical taped them in place so they don't fall off (as they have in the past) when installing the tank.

Dan

Danny955i

Got it... Got a 1' longer bolt (non allen head) and re-threaded the mounting hole to clean it up...

She went on. With a mild bit of wrestling.

Thanks for all the help!