News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

decal dilema

Started by deepsouthtiger, June 27, 2011, 01:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouthtiger

I started using my Tiger as a daily commuter about 8 months ago, and recently noticed the decals on both sides of the tank are starting to "bubble"  mostly the center "stripe".

I assume the blistering heat and humidity here on the Gulf Coast is to blame.
I try and park in a mostly shaded area though from about 11-2  there is no getting away from it.

Anyone else experience this and is there a "simple" fix or am I lookin at a complete new paint job to fix it.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

skoron

I'm going to guess its an 05 or 06.  You are right that its the heat of parking outside.  A lot of them do that, especially the RH side.  I talked with Triumph and the best they would do is a new tank for $400! I guess not that bad of a deal since the tank lists for $700.  The decals are under clear coat so you will need to strip down, replace and repaint.  Or, just live with it like the rest of us.  A local sign/decal place recognized the decals and said it was a known supplier issue due to shrinkage.  He said that supplier made even bigger decals (like motor homes) that would shrink 6".  he tried heating and pulling the bubbles out which worked for a week or two.  Then they lifted again.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

deepsouthtiger

Yep 2005 for sure.  

I am more of the "live with it" mentality till it gets too bad, decals totally peeling off,  which it may not.

I started (today) using a cheap cover I had that might help deflect some of the direct BEATING sun and may make a difference.  If not when it gets bad enough I'll just strip and repaint her.  ITs not like the thing is "pristine" its a Tiger, been on its side a few times, big wide side bags have hit a parking pole or 2 ..........  

I was just curious if it was just me or a "common" problem.   Guess in England they don't really have to worry about the 110 degree high humidity issues we do here in the Deep South.

Thanks for the info.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

NKL

Nope, my 2006 model has done it one side, but I've got a baglux cover on it so it doesn't show. So they still do it in our cold climate
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Yukon

Patman1200

This has happened on my Yam TTR250 as well and it's due to the porous nature of the plastics used in the tank.

You may be able to repair the bubble ,but unless you can stop the migration of vapour from the tank, through the plastic behind the decals then you will always get them back again.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer