News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Levers - short or standard ?

Started by Boxmonkey, June 14, 2011, 12:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxmonkey

I am a new rider, and was wondering is there an advantage to lever length. I plan to add some adjustable levers to my Tiger, and wanted to gather some opinions. I ride 99% on the road, if that matters.
Tiger 800 ABS

KuzzinKenny

Hey Boxmonkey !! tryin not to state the obvious, being a lever, the longer it is, the easier and smoother it operates, the shorter it is, the harder and quicker it is   :?  if that makes sense !! it also depends on the size of yer hands !!

hope this helps !!

KK

ps it helps if ya fill in yer profile, model and year of bike  :wink:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Boxmonkey

I have pretty large hands. I didn't know what the advantages of the shorty levers would be other than the quicker action as you described. I haven't ridden a lot of bikes, mostly atvs with full size levers. I wasn't sure if there was some hidden secret I was unaware of, or if most people just think they look cool. I have a Tiger 800 ABS.
Tiger 800 ABS

cosmo

I like short clutch levers because i like to keep two fingers on the 'bars.

Then again, I can easily pull an ironhead Sporty's clutch, or even a Laverda twin's.

It's all in personal preference.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Big Al

Hi, new to a Tiger but find the clutch lever a massive span and I haven't got small hands. Is the amount of movement from open to fully in needed to operate the clutch properly.  I Like to be able to have two fingers on the leaver when riding but now have to stretch the fingers to reach.
Also, are Tiger 955i's always noisy and heavy on gear change both up and down?

Boxmonkey

I am not sure about the 955i, but i chose to stay with the stock length and get the adjustable clutch lever for my T800. Being able to bring the clutch lever closer made a huge difference for me.
Tiger 800 ABS

cosmo

Quote from: "Big Al"Also, are Tiger 955i's always noisy and heavy on gear change both up and down?

No. Make double sure your chain is in proper adjustment. Notchy gearchange is the first symptom of a chain out of adjustment.

Second, I always roll off the throttle and shift w/o clutch lever movement (save 1-2 shift). Done properly, the feel is like a CVT.

Third, the gears on Triumphs are undercut, which means that any load on the gear will make changing difficult and noisy. Adjust the clutch properly.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.