News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Post sprag, won't rev?

Started by Mudhen, August 18, 2011, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Hey guys,

Finally got Z's bike running after replacing the sprag clutch (took us exactly 2 years :shock: ) ...and it seems like it doesn't want to rev over about 5k rpm.  It will...but it feels like the whole bike is going to vibrate itself to pieces.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Pat
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

didn't get the balancer out of position somehow when you put it back together ??

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

Mudhen

Ya, I was wondering if the timing could be 180deg out.  Can't that be an issue on cars?  180deg out it will still start and run...just not correctly.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

If it looked like this when you put it together it aint the cam timing

Mudhen

Gold colored disc with a little oil underneath...wire thing on the side.

Yup, looked just like that.

:)

I think Zahi did that piece.  He's the doctor...not me.  May have to pop it back open and verify.
\'96 Steamer

PompeyLad

This may sound silly but make sure it is not something simple like getting the wrong coil connected to a wrong cylinder.

Mudhen

Quote from: "PompeyLad"This may sound silly but make sure it is not something simple like getting the wrong coil connected to a wrong cylinder.

Glad Zahi isn't on this thread...since that's what did his sprag clutch in to begin with.  And there, on the label of the #3 coil...in my handwriting...a big 'ol #2.

He'll never let me live that down.  Nor should he.   :oops:
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Hey...or maybe it was right - and we have it wrong now!

Better check that again.  But wouldn't it run like crap or not run at all?  It runs pretty good at low revs...
\'96 Steamer

Zizi

Hello all,

Thanks for the constant help on this long journey, just realized Pat made a post about this.
    I'm quite sure that it looked like the picture Mustang posted when I put it back together.  At least I remember agonizing quite a bit about that making sure it looked exactly like the picture in the Haynes manual.  
     As for the wiring, perhaps your labels were right after all Pat, maybe we should swap 1 and 2 and see if that makes any difference, should be obvious if it doesn't start.  
   Mustang, what is the balancer you are talking about, is that something we can easily get to to inspect?

Thanks again y'all for the help,
Z